SKX007 stem problem / can't set watch

mpm235

Hello eveyone,

I am attempting my first ever repair. Need your advice.

I have a Seiko SKX007J, with the 7s26B movement.The crown will only move out by one click. If you rotate the crown, the date changes and the hands move simultaneously. They continue to move until you screw the crown all the way down. 

I have taken the the back off (with my new jaxa and case holder, first time taking a watch back off, yippee! great fun, I love it!). The little lever, which normally moves out when you move the crown to the neutral position, to show the tiny circular indent, which you depress to remove the stem, does NOT move when you put the crown to the neutral position.

I discovered I could get it out by gently pushing the other end of the lever with a screw driver. I removed the stem this way, but when I put the stem back in, the lever would not come out again.

any and all advice anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

thank you, Mark

There must be something that doesn't sit right in the keyless work. There is usually no problem with the 7s26 movements when it comes to that .

Could have jumped off here at the black ring or the arm has slide over the clutch wheel (red ring)  Which could happen if you pull the stem to fast out. But you need to take the dial of to find out :( 

keyless6487.jpg

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ishima said:

Sounds like you have the right of it, Rogart, only isn't all that keyless work accessed from the top side on these or am I missing something?

You will need to remove the movement from the case, remove the hands, dial and calendar work to be able to get to it. 

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

You will need to remove the movement from the case, remove the hands, dial and calendar work to be able to get to it. 

Actually on the 7S26 that's technically not completely true. Ishima is right, only the second hand need to be removed in order to access the keyless, and the entire calendar can be safely left in place :)

As Rogart has mentioned, it seems like the setting spring (black circle above) has dislodged. I recommend the OP to NOT try to repair this by himself without having first acquired all the correct tools, lubricants, and have practiced on other mov.t about which he doesn't care at all. Even if a Seiko movement is very cheap to replace, it would be a pity to further damage it.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

Think you are right there. I have mostly worked with 7S26A movement.  That is a real pain in the ... ? Almost easier to take the dial of the have to remove the trainwheel bridge . As @jdm says a new movement could be bought instead. Maybe that is the best option. 

Actually I recommend to repair, not replace this one, inspecting and testing the setting lever to check that's its pin, or the valleys on spring aren't damaged so to make it go off again.

However I'm perfectly aware that in the Western world, any watch repairer (assuming you can find a good one), will ask about the value of the watch itself for the work. For that I can' offer a solution except DIY after proper self-education.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jdm said:

Actually on the 7S26 that's technically not completely true. Ishima is right, only the second hand need to be removed in order to access the keyless, and the entire calendar can be safely left in place :)

As Rogart has mentioned, it seems like the setting spring (black circle above) has dislodged. I recommend the OP to NOT try to repair this by himself without having first acquired all the correct tools, lubricants, and have practiced on other mov.t about which he doesn't care at all. Even if a Seiko movement is very cheap to replace, it would be a pity to further damage it.

I didn't know that. Its been a very long time since I was a watchmaker. I'm sorry if I have given the wrong advice.