ETA 2824 calendar not jumping

Stian

Hi guys,

I am finishing up an ETA 2824 service, but now have an issue with the calendar not jumping. In the picture it should be clear that the jumper spring does not force the jump. What I did that probably caused this was put a little D5 on the calendar ring teeth. I tried cleaning that off again, but it still does not jump.

Any ideas?

--

Best regards,

Stian

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I am finishing up an ETA 2824 service, but now have an issue with the calendar not jumping. In the picture it should be clear that the jumper spring does not force the jump. What I did that probably caused this was put a little D5 on the calendar ring teeth. I tried cleaning that off again, but it still does not jump.

Any ideas?

--
Best regards,
Stian

And here the picture... 55d8681a9ec877fc29004782be3ed957.jpg

1- check that the date ring is perfectly flat (lay it on a mirror or similar)
2- check for friction marks anywhere, bent teeth,
3 (possibly should be 1) check that you've used the right screw for the set lever spring, if the head is touching the bottom of the date ring, it'll lock it up solid..

I personally use a grease on the date teeth, greasing the jumper once every 10 teeth

Tom

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stian said:

And here the picture... 55d8681a9ec877fc29004782be3ed957.jpg

What can happen and has happened to me is if you fit the wrong screw when assembling the escape side it is proud on the dial side and stops the calendar ring moving. 

• Like 3

I had one issue with the parrot-beak-like wheel that pushes the calendar wheel tooth (and is connected with the hour wheel) - the beak was worn out (part 38 - Date indicator driving wheel) - it wasn't pushing the date wheel tooth enough.

• Like 1

I second what Matabog said.
Looks like the calendar work here is more or less the exact same set up you see in the common quartz 955 series. And that is a known semi-common problem with those, the hook inside that part is practically completely hidden in the 955 so I was instructed to know that ahead of ever coming across it. Looks like you've got a bit more visibility with the 2824, which might make it easier to confirm.

I highly doubt lubrication would cause that sort of effect, as you are supposed to lubricate the teeth (or at least the calender jump spring) with D5 or some equivalent according to the tech sheets, last time i checked. but all the things others are saying sound like good places to look. 

Edited by Ishima

Hi guys, 

Turned out the problem was actually that the setting lever spring / plate was not lying completely flat, making the calendar ring rub against it. 

When that was corrected, everything was smooth again.. Another stupid error and learning experience...

Stian 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...