No Watch Should Be Killed...

This was my thought this morning at 02:00 AM when I was hacking an ETA 2412 from a Rotary to use its inner loins for a Hamilton 231. Its only fault: it wasn't a Hamilton. I was filled with remorse when taking the shiny keyless works parts to replace the sweat filled rusty ones from the Hamilton.

And because I was so ashamed, this morning I woke up with one thing in mind: replace the setting lever too!

So my question: How do you cut a setting lever to proper length?

Thank you,

Bogdan

Good morning Bogdan.

It really depends how much you are going to have to remove. I would imagine a Dremel with small grindstone would be the order of the day if it just a small amount. If a significant amount has to be cut off, use a small cutting disk first, then grind the end to the correct profile with a grindstone before posting to a high finish.

I forgot to say, clamp the lever to a piece of wood before cutting with the disk.

Agreed - some kind of pendant motor (like a Dremel) and I would use a diamond disk - they are awesome at grinding and cutting.

As Geo said - be sure to hold the work steady as it will ping across the room.

I managed to get my hands on a Dremel but stopped there. The new setting lever doesn't fit the old crown (the thread has another step).

So I dropped the idea. I will put back the watch with the old lever.

But anyway, thank you for the advices!

Edited by matabog