Swiss Watch School

david

19 minutes ago, david said:

I think the larger lathes with the milling attachments are Schaublin. I am afraid to speculate what they cost. The turns are still made by Horotec and are quite expensive.

david

Correct-

the lathes are the latest model Schsublin 70, however the turns are made by Horia  ( previously Steiner) and are horribly expensive!

though to be fair, Horia stuff (and Schaublin) are actually the tools you need for the job. There are companies that will sell you older model Schaublins that are still capable of doing fine work. You don’t see Horia/Steiner turns much..(believe me- I check now and again). I think people keep hold of those!

j

How nice to see young girls also taking up watchmaking. All using top range equipment, computer controlled lathes. Anyone know the name of the lathe? These lucky students will go on to working on top of the range movements, all in environmentally clean workshops.  No working in tiny workshops being covered in dirt and grime for them.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

How nice to see young girls also taking up watchmaking. All using top range equipment, computer controlled lathes. Anyone know the name of the lathe? These lucky students will go on to working on top of the range movements, all in environmentally clean workshops.  No working in tiny workshops being covered in dirt and grime for them.  

As mentioned in previous post - Schaublin 70 lathes (not computer controlled) but the spindle speed is displayed on a read out.

There are lots of girls working for watch brands and after sales and have been for a long time. 

-J

On 7/10/2017 at 9:42 AM, Lambchop said:

Correct-

the lathes are the latest model Schsublin 70, however the turns are made by Horia  ( previously Steiner) and are horribly expensive!

though to be fair, Horia stuff (and Schaublin) are actually the tools you need for the job. There are companies that will sell you older model Schaublins that are still capable of doing fine work. You don’t see Horia/Steiner turns much..(believe me- I check now and again). I think people keep hold of those!

j

Yes this is really great machines, but ti think that a Cowells 90CW  can do the trick as well... By the way, they use Schaublin collet's !