Help needed with platform escapement

wls1971

I recently bought a barometer and clock combination dating from 1873, I have established that the barometer is in working order. The clock on the other hand is a 8 day with a cylinder platform escapement of french origin, I have removed the platform and inspected it and every pivot is broken and there are a number of teeth missing off the escape wheel in short it is beyond repair.

I will need a replacement platform for the clock is it simply a case of finding a platform cylinder escapement of the same size and replacing or I have quite a few Elliott jewelled lever escapements could I replace it with one of those, i know I will probably have to drill and tap new holes to fix it to the movement . Other options are finding a donor movement that will fit on ebay.

Any advice or suggestion greatly appreciated.

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

Keep to as near to the original as possible. I think you should be able to find a replacement on ebay. You need the size of the platform the pinion and teeth count plus the length of the escape wheel. You don’t want the escape wheel bracket to interfere with the rest of the movement. If you cannot find a cylinder, you should be able to get a lever escapement, the above info still applies.  

A lever plateform will keep better time then a cylinder. A cylinder is not compensated.

• Like 1

Right length and width of platform, and are the following the measurements I need

Length of the escape wheel  belowInkedIMG_2607_LI.thumb.jpg.0a3bb76516234760765429d551e29173.jpg

Pinion teeth or am I correct in saying these are described as leaves in many ebay listings,

InkedIMG_2605_LI.thumb.jpg.0813689ef242295faa3a031f7dab6198.jpg

And escape wheel teethInkedIMG_2606_LI.thumb.jpg.e5d3119cf6c8beb8865297504105a249.jpg

Right many thanks I've located one on ebay just waiting for a answer on a couple of question from the seller to see how suitable it will be,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Clock-Jewelled-Cylinder-Platform-Escapement-Good-Working-Order-/253187431606?fromMakeTrack=true

It will cost me more than the barometer did:startle:

I've had no reply for my questions from the seller, but have found another seller who has a lot of cylinder escapements for sale. I asked him the same questions he did say all the ones he has for sale are 8 leave on the escape wheel pinion and that he has some that are 9 mm drop, he did say to my question that I needed a escape wheel with 15 teeth, that all cylinder escapements have 15 teeth, but I have read that some are 11 or 13 teeth  would these be very uncommon ? now that I have asked him the question if I order one and it has less than 15 teeth I will just send it back.

11 hours ago, wls1971 said:

I've had no reply for my questions from the seller, but have found another seller who has a lot of cylinder escapements for sale. I asked him the same questions he did say all the ones he has for sale are 8 leave on the escape wheel pinion and that he has some that are 9 mm drop, he did say to my question that I needed a escape wheel with 15 teeth, that all cylinder escapements have 15 teeth, but I have read that some are 11 or 13 teeth  would these be very uncommon ? now that I have asked him the question if I order one and it has less than 15 teeth I will just send it back.

There are a few different types. I expect they are from very early platforms. He is correct 15 teeth 8 pinion.

I have exactly the same pivot drill I had to drill out the hole in which you insert the drill, the  standard size is 1/8th of a inch on micro drills all the old pivot drills use a much small diameter for using spade drills. I am currently mounting it on a base with electric motor so should have it up and running soon. The problem with the platform escapement on the clock is that both balance wheel pivots where broken and both escape wheel pivots, I shall however practice with it when I have the pivot drill sorted.

Well having been frustrated on more than one occasion asking for info on escapements and receiving no reply on ebay and then asking a seller who had some escapements for sale for one with a 9 mm drop and being sent one with just 7 mm :mad:

I have decided to use a Jewelled lever escapement from around 1900 which I have. Having temporarily positioned the escapement on the movement it runs and has a very good amplitude, I will have to cut down the regulating arm , two of the screw holes line up but two will need drilling out in order to fit it, I have left it running on my bench and will leave it over night to see what the timekeeping is like before I dismantle and clean.

IMG_2610.JPG

39 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You know the old saying you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear

I certainly do, but I dont think I'm flogging a dead horse, it should make quite a decorative piece of victoriana to hang on the wall, and getting it in working order has to better than this drastic solution:

http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/384588/victorian-walnut-anchor-shaped-barometer/

can you see the join and it sold amazingly:biggrin: