Seconds hand bushing / pipe

oli

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had come across seconds' hand bushing / pipes sold on their own.

I have a seconds hand with a damaged pipe, and I would like to rivet a new one. I would like to avoid replacing the whole hand if at all possible to maintain originality.

Many thanks

Seen it done somewhere on the web. But never seen any for sale. Have done a save once. Took the old hand and put it on a new tube from an other second hand. But was very tricky. Drilling a hole  in 0,20 mm is wouldn't be easy either i think.? Or smaller?

Edited by rogart63

Yes it is 0.20mm. The trouble is that the tailstock on my watchmakers lathe is not perfectly true,  so drilling a 0.20mm hole will be tricky.

If I go down the route of turning it. I will definitely go down the tubing route if available

But I would much rather find something ready made if it is out there!

How did you go about breaking the rivet on the old hand to take the tube? 

Edited by oli

5 hours ago, oli said:

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had come across seconds' hand bushing / pipes sold on their own.

I have a seconds hand with a damaged pipe, and I would like to rivet a new one. I would like to avoid replacing the whole hand if at all possible to maintain originality.

Many thanks

Never seen them or even contemplated taking on such a tricky job. Far easier to just replace the hand/s

It is possible to fabricate replacement pipes if you have the tools and time.  I've replaced the pipes on Pierce watch hands using brass tubing purchased off of the Bay; the pipe on the Pierce 134 sweep second hand has an inside diameter of 0.30 - 0.32mm and finding replacements of the right length and diameter can be a chore.  A bit of lathe work will be required to get the outside diameter to fit the hand properly for riveting.

You may also be able to remove the tube from a generic replacement hand and rivet or solder it to your original.  I've no experience with this method though.