Too much oil?

Stian

Hi guys, 

Sorry to abuse this forum with a post that's not asking for help, but I just had to share these pictures... This watch was not at all running,for some odd reason. 

IMG_20170929_223551.thumb.jpg.373ae6905352bf2ffbd6ea6638c1c9b3.jpgIMG_20170929_223953.thumb.jpg.bb3386ac3551a7ceb6d9e8d411a2149e.jpgIMG_20170929_222338_1.thumb.jpg.75b9cf3b1c19d6ad24b7d206dd11260c.jpg

I think there are three potential reasons for what the "repairer" had done :

1. He mistook the watch for a clock

2. He got a really, really good deal on lubricants

3. He's actually a car repairer and is used to parts running in oil. 

Other suggestions are welcome :)

Stian 

• Like 1

I think I have a watch on the bench right now that was serviced by the same tech.  I noticed a spot of clear liquid dead center on the inside of the crystal after removing the movement- that was oil which had run down the post for the sweep second hand!  Disassembly was phenomenal- I think the entire movement was just dipped in a bit of Mobil-1.

Just now, RyMoeller said:

I think I have a watch on the bench right now that was serviced by the same tech.  I noticed a spot of clear liquid dead center on the inside of the crystal after removing the movement- that was oil which had run down the post for the sweep second hand!  Disassembly was phenomenal- I think the entire movement was just dipped in a bit of Mobil-1.

Well, the good thing is that you're not so afraid of parts pinging away, they're sticking nicely together :) 

On a watch I worked on recently the parts were coated with something that defied the naphta rinse..I figured it was oil remnants. I could use a pegwood and rub it away but I ended up washing it in bathing soap... plates and wheels. Only the hairspring was not cleaned with this method, this was cleaned in acetone.

Anilv