Broken Pinion

Vich

Finally got round to taking my Brother in laws Rotary apart to glue all the chapters which had fallen loose back on. Unfortunately when I went to put the very small pointers back on to the chronograph dials I realised that they both still had the ends of the pinions still inside them and I had sheared them off when removing the pointers. The movement is a Miyota and I will get another but anyone know how to get those pinions out of the pointers the hole is smaller than anything I have and there is little or nothing to grip. The pointers themselves are only 3.5 mm. I am starting to think I should just get new pointers.

Cheers Vic

I am having second thoughts about this now.  Looking at the myota 6P50 pictures on the internet there are actually no projecting pinions.  I am now wondering whether there is too much glue on the back of the dial holding it too far away from the movement.

Either that or I am just being cack handed.

post-197-0-23215900-1408128213_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-68663400-1408128237_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-90796700-1408128267_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-58699600-1408128390_thumb.jpg

Hi Vic,

Are you sure it's a 6P50?  I don't see that movement listed in my list of Miyota Tech Specs, but I may not have a complete listing.

I did find this one (PDF Attached), that looks like your movement, the Miyota 6P21, and there are definitely pinions for the hands.

I hope this helps mate:

Miyota _6P21.pdf

Cheers Lawson,

I got the PDF for the 6P50 from the Cousins download site and I have the old one I knacked up which is marked. There are a couple of places that sell them but I am waiting for my preferred supplier to return from holiday as I am not in any rush.

I know now why Mark seems to use two levers instead of the presto style tool.  The pinions are apparently .17mm diameter and I am 16 stone - no contest really.

I had a look at your PDF which is better in layout than the Cousins one and similar enough to verify the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Vic

• 2 weeks later...