Moebius D5 or 9104 (HP-1300)?

IFELL

Hi,

I am currently working on ETA movement which recommends to use Moebius 9104 HP 1300 for majority of the usual places where I would normally use D5 (if I am missing service sheet).

Have you ever faced similar choice? Could someone be able to describe differences between these two? 
I am trying to get some relevant info if buying HP 1300 is even worth it.

Thanks.

D5 is a mineral based oil, effectively molybdenum disulphide in a carrier, of a certain viscosity (approximately 1300centistokes) there can be inconsistencies batch to batch due to the nature of the substance.

HP1300 is a fully synthetic lubricant that should be consistent batch to batch due to the manufacturing process.

For the cost of a 2ml bottle of the appropriate lubricants, and their long life, is there a reason not to use the correct substance?

D5 is now relegated to very specific tasks in my workshop, usually for lubricating tools :-)

Tom

• Like 1

Agree with FWM.  Synthetics will age much slower and have a higher Viscosity Index (VI) which means their fluidity will not change as much with temperature.   They also have a higher lubricity (ie slipperyness) and 9104 has EP (extreme pressure) additives which overcome the need for moly.  You should also be aware that 9104 is dyed red so may be unsuitable for some applications.  I believe there is an undyed (colourless) version but this may only be available in the larger (more expensive !!!) containers.   You could try 9103 which is only slightly thinner (1000 v 1300) if you need a colourless oil.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 9/28/2017 at 10:34 AM, IFELL said:

I am trying to get some relevant info if buying HP 1300 is even worth it.

HP-1300 is an excellent oil and you can get it in a small bottle (2 ml) for less money than the larger bottles of D5 (20 ml). If you are an enthusiast repairer 2 ml will likely last a life time.

Edited by VWatchie

If you want a super technical answer, here are the sheets with the full properties for comparison:Screenshot_20230209_000841_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.4e5d9b8e509e132297a08efa4643c60c.jpgScreenshot_20230520_085226_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.b903b325268e79cefa4ff8a8efb0d391.jpg

I got myself 2ml of HP1300 and, as @VWatchie alluded, I'll never be able to finish it before it expires. 

On that note, maybe one major advantage of HP1300 is it's shelf life of 6 years - vs 3 years for D5. Probably similar effects on service periods. 

Edited by Knebo
Additional info instead of second post

5 hours ago, Knebo said:

I got myself 2ml of HP1300 and, as @VWatchie alluded, I'll never be able to finish it before it expires. 

On that note, maybe one major advantage of HP1300 is it's shelf life of 6 years - vs 3 years for D5. Probably similar effects on service periods. 

Also, it might be interesting to learn that it seems to be the consensus here on WRT - not least and perhaps above all with the professionals - that we basically can ignore the shelf life. Simply store your oils in darkness in a not-too-hot place - room temperature or lower is preferred - and you should be able to use your bottle of oil until it is finished, which might be past your own shelf life 😉

• Haha 2