I seem to have developed an affinity for pocket watches and I found this video by Fran Blanche, she has some really interesting electronics tear downs and articles, if you're into that sort of thing, and now I find she's into pocket watches.

I think its the embellishment on the insides of the pocket watch that catch my eye.

Nothing in depth, beginners level, which is probably why I like it.

Considering the American pocket watches were mass produced the quality is amazing,  here is an example of a Waltham, there cannot be many,  if any, watches of better quality.  I have a couple ( not quite as high a quality as the picture)  and am amazed they turned them out by the millions.  There are a lot worse things to spend money on than good pocket watches.   :thumbsu:  

post-37-0-54680500-1411138523_thumb.jpg

The first watch I destroyed was a pocket watch! I feel so sorry for it! In a brigter note it help me get started in this awesome hobby. So, although I only own the remnants of a pocket watch, I do love them too!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ballefrostt
      Hello
      A friend of my father gave me this old pocketwatch to see if I could repare it. 

As you see in the picture, the balance wheel is extremely bent. I tried to bend it back, but i cant make it good enough.

Does anyone know where I can find a balancewheel for this Revue 30 movement? I have tried to search around online, however, I cant find any.

Is there a generic balance that would fit in here? 

Best regards
      Nicholas

• By rduckwor
      A vintage Elgin 15/0, Gr 559.  I took it down, cleaned and lubricated it and it is gaining 15 minutes/24 hours.  I have looked at the HS, it appears to be perfect, clean, flat, not magnetized (de-magged the movement X 3 already), and in position between the regulator pins.  Not hung on the center wheel.  Correct mainspring, and balance is not knocking.    I do not remember amplitude, but IIRC, it was above 22 which is O.K. by me with the movement.  Please give me some ideas as to how to correct this.  It doesn't seem like there are enough timing washers in the world to slow this down!

Thanks,

RMD
    • By rduckwor
      Early 60's Elgin 10K Shockmaster. I suppose one of their attempts at water proofing a watch (see the crystal and gasket in the second picture). The question is how to get the crown off (Its wobbly when pulled out to the set position and I am certain it contains a gasket) so I can remove the movement? Dis-assemble the keyless works in place so I can grab the stem and unscrew the crown?? Thanks.

• By rduckwor
      Elgin 712/713 shock spring.  Does anyone know the name of this particular type of shock spring?  Thanks,

RMD

• By DouglasSkinner
      I have an old Waltham pocket watch movement which is missing the impulse pin (roller jewel).  I have a limited number of actual jewels and since this is just a practice movement I thought I'd try to make one out of brass.  I've seen this several times in old pieces--usually a very sloppy job.  So I got some brass stock of the same diameter as the "D" in the roller table, filed it and burnished it to a high gloss.  Then I took a small, very fine diamond file and filed it half flat to form the "D"  I then polished the face using progressively finer sandpaper on a steel block.  This works fine--so far!  Problem is separation of the piece from the stock.  Again I used a small cutting file to do this but it doesn't leave the end very pretty.  So what I've done so far is to fit the good end into the roller table.  I then plan to shellac it in place and see if I can very carefully adjust the length and clean up the end.  Has anyone done this before?  Any suggestions as to how best to do it?