Seiko Bezel Issue

Hi Jerry,

There is a little detent spring ball fitted into the case that should press against the underside of the bezel. This is probably seized and stuck in the down position. Try getting some release agent and put a couple of drops on the top of the ball and let is sit for a couple of hours before trying to free it off with a small screwdriver or pick. If that doesn't work, remove the movement from the case and put the case in a small jar of release agent (Plus Gas), and put the jar containing the case and agent into an ultrasonic cleaner and give it a good blast. You may have to do this a couple of times.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plus-Gas-Lubricant-Spout-Tin-/360697911631?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&var=&hash=item53fb45594f

I hope this helps.

Edited by Geo

Occasionally the ball and spring go missing through wear and corrosion. I have made replacement springs from cutting down a spring from a spring bar, the ball can be found on fleabay. Additionally there is an o ring in the bezel, again these can be sourced on fleabay. The whole lot snaps back together easily enough with a smear of silicone grease, the ball and spring will stay in place one reassembled. 

• Like 1

Based on the description that no ball and spring are listed for the watch, I believe the system uses a ring bolted to the case (normally screws are at 4 and 8, bump is at 12). Somewhere in the ring there is a round bump that doubles in function for the ball. It is also possible the bezel is not unidirectional as some original/certain model of Seikos were made. The ratchetting is basically due to the contact of the serrations underneath the bezel against the bump of the ring. The serrations (gear like) are sometimes angled so it will be easy to go in one direction but difficult to go in the other direction. This system can be found with and without the angled teeth on the bezel which will make it unidirectional or not....or so I've found in some old Seiko cases. I forgot to say, the ring is the spring!

Edited by bobm12

The 7002-7000 had a uni directional bezel. A good article can be found here:http://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/how-buy-seiko-7002-diver-collectors-buying-guide-258086.html go down to the sub heading Bezel and look at the 2nd picture showing the click ball between the 1 & 2. The click ball and spring are part of the case and were not supplied by Seiko as separate parts, as they were riveted in place. However these do become stuck and sometimes fall out, the o ring perishes and the whole lot fails. It normally just takes a clean, new o ring and a dab of silicone to get the whole lot going again if the click ball is still there. I have restored a few of these now and have had to fit the click ball and spring on a couple of ocassions.

• Like 1

Here is a picture of the parts involved. It varies according to the 7002 generation so instead of a bump you will find a little kind of arm or something similar sticking out from the ring.

post-253-0-83392500-1408045647_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-04073000-1408045659.png

We were posting at the same time! So, maybe my terminology is different but the idea is the same :)

Hope it helps.

Edited by bobm12

The first generation 7002's 150 metres, caseback code A1, used the ball and spring these being:

7002-7000
7002-7001
7002-7009
7002-700A (blue and red bezel)
7002-700J (Japan-only version, with "17 Jewels" on dial, blue and red bezel)

The second generation 7002's upgraded to 200 metres, caseback code A0, used the bezel spring as shown on the last post these being:
7002-7020 (200m model with a steel Tag-like bezel design similar to the SKX171 model)
7002-7039 (200m model, in black as well as blue-and-red bezels)

Even more info can be found here: https://archives.makedostudio.com/seiko-divers/
Edited by Blacklab

It will be a bit fiddly, but you should still be able to fix it Jerry, assuming you can get a ball bearing of the correct size.

Remove the spring and with a very fine round needle file dress the hole until you remove all traces of the original crimp. Put the spring back in before trying to see if the ball fits the hole properly, or you may not get it out the hole again.

Once you have the hole sorted out you will have to make sure it is clean, then lubricate the spring with some grease and place in the hole. The next bit is the tricky bit, you will need a punch with a hole in the end that is a about 0.010" to 0.015" smaller than the diameter of the ball, you might need to modify it to prevent catching the case in the wrong place by grinding a small flat on one side of the tip. Place the ball in the and of the punch, holding it there with a spot of grease. Now using the punch place the ball in the hole and press it right down until the punch touches the case evenly, then give it a sharp tap with a hammer just enough to deform the hole and retain the bearing. The case will have to be rigidly supported when you do this.

If you do not have the equipment to doe the above, you could clean out the hole grease the spring and ball the carefully try to snap the bezel in place without the ball flying off into oblivion!

I hope you manage to fix it.

Edited by Geo
  • Like 1

You don't actually need to crimp the hole, 2 of my 7002's bezels just sit on the ball/spring and haven't come out as the bezel will retain the ball. You can get the balls on fleabay (just type in Seiko click or Seiko clicker) or use a ball from a ballpoint pen as shown here: http://derekbartle.webs.com/apps/blog/show/2907522-how-to-get-that-click-back-in-your-6309-7040 yes I know its a 6309 but its the same system.

You don't actually need to crimp the hole, 2 of my 7002's bezels just sit on the ball/spring and haven't come out as the bezel will retain the ball. You can get the balls on fleabay (just type in Seiko click or Seiko clicker) or use a ball from a ballpoint pen as shown here: http://derekbartle.webs.com/apps/blog/show/2907522-how-to-get-that-click-back-in-your-6309-7040 yes I know its a 6309 but its the same system.

That's good news, it's a far simpler option than my first one. Good call Blacklab!