Sign in to follow this  
Oriawr1

Starter tools?

Very new here and feel somehow that I should be on a less expert site.

But before I go, could someone tell me what basic tools I might need to attempt my first servicing?

Are there perhaps, kits or packs available rather than pieces that might have to be bought individually?

My watches are all manual or automatic and mostly from the 50's to 70's.

I thought they were simple but have learned here that may not be the case!

Thank you.

• case back opening tools (for snap off and screw down case backs)
  • case holders (not always needed but they come in handy; I have a plastic one to not scratch the case)
  • movement holders (very important; usually come in pair of 2s, smaller and larger; mine are cheap and can be used on both sides so 4 sizes in total)
  • a good set of screwdrivers (very important to get a stone or something to sharpen them or a screwdriver sharpener)
  • hand removing tool (again I have a cheap one but it does the job just fine; there is also the 2 hand lever version but I prefer the special tool)
  • good loupe or magnification (one of those digital microscopes might come in handy)
  • a watchmaker's mat
  • good light source
  • hand fitting tool (you can use tweezers here I guess... as long as they are not sharp or pointy; I use the sides...)
  • a good set of tweezers
  • spring bar removing/installing tools (various types exist)
  • a watch crystal press (if you want to replace crystals that is; there is also a claw tool that can be used but only in some cases)
  • a digital double digit pair of good calipers (for measuring and stuff)
  • an air blowing tool (not sure what it's called; use this to blow off debris from parts; human breath should NOT be used to do this)
  • polywatch or various other acrylic crystal polishing substances (they say tooth paste works just as well)
  • a cushion watch/case/movement holder (can come in handy sometimes)
  • good oils and lubricants
  • oiling tools (a couple of variants exist)
  • watch part cleaning substances (in case they're dirty or rusty)

This is all I can think of for now...

Edited by Chopin

Thank you Chopin.

O dear, what will I tell the wife. I never imagined this and doubt if I will be able to do it.

I think most of you here have an aptitude for such things. I think I can only fantasise!

Back to the watch maker but again, many thanks.

To be honest I'm an amateur. Only serviced a few watches so far. Almost all of my tools are cheap (each costs a few $) but they do the job just fine especially if you are careful and patient.

If you worry about the costs you can just start cheap like me and see if it satisfies your needs.

It'll take some time to get all of the things that you need but you can get there in no time. :)

7 hours ago, Oriawr1 said:

Very new here and feel somehow that I should be on a less expert site...

You are at the right place at the right time. This forum has a great group of people who love to help and teach people like us who are just starting in this exciting world of the watch repairing hobby. :)