Off Center Draw-in Spindle

jdrichard

I have recently purchased a vintage lathe and the Draw-in Spindle, when tightened is slightly off center. This causes the grip at the back of the spindle to not turn symmetrical. I really can't see any excessive vibration at the Chuck side. I think a piece of tape wrapped around the Draw-in Spindle tube may be the solution to Centre the shaft so that once tightened it is centered. Thoughts?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Are you sure, the spindle is completely straight. You say you bought it second hand. It could be general wear and tear. Have you ever tried to line up both centres, because if you have and they are out, then it is the lathe?  I do not think on this type of lathe you have any adjusting screws.   

Are you sure, the spindle is completely straight. You say you bought it second hand. It could be general wear and tear. Have you ever tried to line up both centres, because if you have and they are out, then it is the lathe?  I do not think on this type of lathe you have any adjusting screws.   

The centers line up perfectly. Just the draw-in tube has play and when you tighten a collet , it will find home, which is not center. Another watch pro said he uses shrink tubing to fill the space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro