repair a worn cap jewel

justin457

7 hours ago, justin457 said:

i have a watch that has a dent in the sapphire jewel that the pivot wore a depression in and it doesn't look like i will find a replacement cap jewel any advice ?

You can grind it flat with diamond paste or powder and oil on a sheet of glass.

4 hours ago, justin457 said:

it is a harvey watch and where would i get the diamond powder and what grit to use  

I am using these chinese pastes sold in 5g syringes. Under 1 USD per piece lol

Get the 0.5 and 2.5, the latter is the coarse, use this first and then polish with the other.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.5332f460ad1f310af9f90d62400b48a2.jpg

23 hours ago, szbalogh said:

You can grind it flat with diamond paste or powder and oil on a sheet of glass.

The jewel should be changed. After grinding the pivot fitting will be incorrect. 

If you require diamond powder (mix with oil) I use Bergeon with 3 different grades & I purchased from Cousins. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clockboy said:

The jewel should be changed. After grinding the pivot fitting will be incorrect. 

I do agree that the cap jewel should be replaced, but if the jewel is set in an incabloc type of fitting, you could get away with lapping out the blemish and polishing the jewel.

I say this because the the jewel will be held down by the incabloc spring ensuring that the jewel is seated correctly in the setting.  This in turn will ensure that the original end end float is maintained.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Geo said:

I do agree that the cap jewel should be replaced, but if the jewel is set in an incabloc type of fitting, you could get away with lapping out the blemish and polishing the jewel.

I say this because the the jewel will be held down by the incabloc spring ensuring that the jewel is seated correctly in the setting.  This in turn will ensure that the original end end float is maintained.

Geo you could be correct, however the original post is not specific as to where it is worn to be 100% sure it is possible. Personally I think it is just not worth the risk & time required so I would just change it (if I could find a replacement that is) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justin457 said:

the cap jewel is not a incabloc setting it is the old pocket watch cap jewels 

Forget re-finishing the old jewel, you will need to find a replacement.  I can think of a way around the problem, but it would be a bodge so I won't even describe it.