Lathe Belts and Oiling

jdrichard

You can get the belting off ebay you cut it to length and splice it together by heating the ends  Mark has made a video on the subject :

3 in 1 oil is what I use for oiling the bearings on my lathe. The belt should  have  enough tension that it does not slip but not very tight as this will risk damaging the bearings  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can get the belting off ebay you cut it to length and splice it together by heating the ends  Mark has made a video on the subject :
3 in 1 oil is what I use for oiling the bearings on my lathe. The belt should  have  enough tension that it does not slip but not very tight as this will risk damaging the bearings  

Is your lathe cone bearing type? And is it 3 in 1 like this?21ef233e779f8a50dabe3a7dbc17bfab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is your lathe cone bearing type? And is it 3 in 1 like this?21ef233e779f8a50dabe3a7dbc17bfab.jpg

Where would i find belts for my new old boley lathe. And how tight should the lathe belt be? And what type of oil do i use to oil the lathe headstock and the lathe motor.

Thanks ahead of time.

Boley are still trading. Type in Boley watch parts and you should find their German web page. You could try contacting them if you can't find the specific belt.
Most belts for most types of machinery are set at a maximum of half inch deflection, if that's any help

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Years ago I switched from the "welded" belts to seemless O-Rings. They are stronger, grip better, last longer, are inexpensive, and most importantly for me, they don't make a clacking sound every time the seam in the belt hits a pulley. I purchased mine from MSC but any industrial supplier should be able to provide them. As luck would have it, the cheapest belt material worked out to be the best for the lathe application.

david

• Like 1

For the lathe cone bearigs I prefer something a little thicker than 3 & 1 oil. I use hydraulic oil but a thin motor oil will also work. I purchase my hydraulic oil in a  5 gallon metal bucket from a hardware store. This is because I also use it as a solvent in a small solvent sink. For cone bearing applications a small should last several lifetimes. Small quantities can be purchased from an auto parts store.

david

For the lathe cone bearigs I prefer something a little thicker than 3 & 1 oil. I use hydraulic oil but a thin motor oil will also work. I purchase my hydraulic oil in a  5 gallon metal bucket from a hardware store. This is because I also use it as a solvent in a small solvent sink. For cone bearing applications a small should last several lifetimes. Small quantities can be purchased from an auto parts store.
david

Thanks David. Do you have an on-line source for your belts.

Years ago I switched from the "welded" belts to seemless O-Rings. They are stronger, grip better, last longer, are inexpensive, and most importantly for me, they don't make a clacking sound every time the seam in the belt hits a pulley. I purchased mine from MSC but any industrial supplier should be able to provide them. As luck would have it, the cheapest belt material worked out to be the best for the lathe application.
david

What is the specific criteria of the search for the MSC belt, or the product name and code

You may find this interesting

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/watch_makers_lathe.pdf

Spindle oils (also known as high speed spindle oil) is usually thin (ie low viscosity) between ISO VG4 and ISO VG15.  Typically paraffin/kerosine is about ISO VG2 to 3. 

This source may help

http://www.small-lathes.co.uk/Lathe-Oil-–-ISO-15-–-500-ml-Bottle-[Stk.-No.-WLO15500]/422.htm

Most other parts are medium viscosity VG68 to VG100 which are similar viscosity to say Moebius 9020 or a thin engine oil SAE 10 to 20.  

The VG number indicates the mean viscosity in cSt at 40degC, (ie can actually be say 64-72 cSt for VG68)

VG68 to 100  could also be used for the motor bearings which may require an oil gun (similar to  small grease gun but oil is used), being careful to inject a couple of drops only to avoid contaminating the electrical parts inside the motor.  Normally this when motor has plain bearings, later motors are normally grease lubricated.

• Thanks 1

david

• Like 1

david

Again, thanks. I think i am going to go with Mobile 1 Synth 0W20

JDRichard,

The diameter I like the best is 3/16 of an inch.  If you go the the MSC section on O-Rings you will find pages of different rings cataloged according to diameter and length. The rings are given a number called a dash number but there will be  an explanation on how to convert the size you are looking for to that number. 

david