Dial Print/paint

Hello all!

I bought a wostok 2209 in a sorry state. Cleaned it, replaced some parts... anyway, it works ok for my taste.

So, because I had nothing to loose, I washed the dial, together with the paint. Any ideas how I could print anything on the dial now?

I attached a photo with the original dial (as I found it by mistake on http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/movements/w/wostok/wostok_2209.php?l=en). And also with the before and after state.

In my opinion, it is a beautiful dial, like this, with no second marks, but I would like to put the wostok logo and the 18j writing on it.

Thank you,

Bogdan

p.s. Did anyone try to print a paper using a laserjet printer and then transferring it to the dial?

post-150-0-55642700-1407961841_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-02822600-1407961843_thumb.jpg

Edited by matabog

Dear Bogdan,

Scale modellers (airfix, tamiya) use slide-on transfers for the markings on the models. You can custom print your own transfers using waterslide papers you can buy off they bay.

If you have done these when you were young, you will remember that they tend to be a bit silvery and have a notiecable edge all around. The modellers have a lot of tricks up their sleeve and use some liquid 'fixer' to get it as realistic as possible.

The problem is the scale of printing is very fine for watches... you may get away printing the brand but stuff like '17 jewels' may not be clear and the 'swiss made' at the bottom will be pretty much invisible.

If you have a hobby shop in your town, it may be worthwhile getting their opinion.

Anil

Good morning Bogdan.

Back in the seventies when I was doing engineering drawing I used stuff called Letraset. This was a dry rub on transfer that helped me get a professional look to my drawings. Letraset is still available, but the smallest size would appear to be 3mm which would be too big for a watch dial.

I did a bit of searching on the net and came up with a supplier of dry rub on letters down to 1/6" or 1.5mm. Hopefully you could make use of this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodland-Scenics-DT575-Lettering-Black-amp-White-Train-Decal-Sheet-/380887441273?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Edited by Geo

I'll just add that, if you do look for a letraset or similar print solution, you'll have to find Cyrillic characters to match the original dial characters. But that might be slightly easier for you as you're in Romania - just a little closer to Россия... :)

Edited by WillFly
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for all the advices. I'll try to find letraset. 

Anilv:  even if I manage to find those slide-on transfer, I don't think they have enough resolution.

Geo: Thanks, I'll try to find this letraset

WillFly: :) right!

Bogdan

In the mean time:  

Edited by matabog