Omega Info Required

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1962 Omega ladies watch which has a cal. 455 automatic movement. It's a Ladymatic in a square case. The information inside on the case back ties up with the movement serial number. The crystal, which has yellowed a bit and is cushion shaped and curved on all four sides, I'll need to replace. It's working fine but I will give it a service though.

The point of sale information described the watch as an Omega Redima Tick. Can someone please explain to me what that means because I cannot find out much about it?

The movement serial number is: 19008899, which dates it to 1962

I don't want to upload any photos because I don't want them on the WWW just yet,  but inside the case back is engraved:

• ACIER INOXYDABLE
  • OMEGA WATCH CO. (inside a triangle)
  • FAB. SUISSE
  • SWISS MADE
  • 3993 62 SC

Thanks in advance.

Edited by systeman

I've worked it out. There's a recent version of the Omega Ladymatic model called Redima Tick.

The seller of the one I purchased used that model info for the Ladymatic I purchased.

What I need to do now is find a replacement crystal for it.

59c3ae51cc7b0_Picture187.jpg.9a6d382d6eaabbe433fa0c8aaa7773bd.jpg

59c3ae5a88582_Picture190.jpg.3570156c68746c14eeb0b79fa7929120.jpg

59c3ae4577967_Picture186.jpg.c958643e09089c89241e02b4b1e502cb.jpg

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement crystal for this. It's cushion one, inside and out, with a flange so it can be glued in from inside the case. The bezel aperture is 17.5mm x 17.5mm?

4 hours ago, Watcher said:

Cousins sell it: code number RX1731734 or RX1741744 or RX1751754

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/rectangular-shaped-sternkreuz-rx

Thanks.

I think. but I stand to be corrected, that the RX is for inset fitting into the front of the bezel. The type in this watch is an underlayed type, i.e. with a flange for fitting from inside and gluing into place.

Yes RX is front fitting, but with a little care with a file or a mill they can be reshaped to be rear fitting. I have done this a couple of times with curvex watches. Hence my suggested range of sizes. The corners have to be rounded also. Otherwise you need the correct Omega part.

49 minutes ago, Watcher said:

Yes RX is front fitting, but with a little care with a file or a mill they can be reshaped to be rear fitting. I have done this a couple of times with curvex watches. Hence my suggested range of sizes. The corners have to be rounded also. Otherwise you need the correct Omega part.

Hmm, I still do not think it's possible. I'm not sure of the name of this type of crystal. Probably 'underlayed capsule' or 'cylinder' type, or something like that. Here's a freehand cross section of it:

IMG_20170922_0001.thumb.jpg.083a1ce5c1e380c547aeab827b8f108d.jpg

If you give the correct numbers to your supplier, you will obtain the correct glass. Just clean the whole case, use a little crystal cement when fitting the glass it should just press in. The old glass are you sure it is an Omega glass, a genuine Omega glass has the insignia in the middle.   

52 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

If you give the correct numbers to your supplier, you will obtain the correct glass. Just clean the whole case, use a little crystal cement when fitting the glass it should just press in. The old glass are you sure it is an Omega glass, a genuine Omega glass has the insignia in the middle.   

Cousins cannot obtain it, it's to do with the ongoing Swatch problem, I gave then the model number which is 3993 62 SC.

As for the Omega insignia, the watch was made in 1962. Maybe they didn't do that then.

Hmm, I still do not think it's possible. I'm not sure of the name of this type of crystal. Probably 'underlayed capsule' or 'cylinder' type, or something like that. Here's a freehand cross section of it:

This can be made from an RX crystal. I have done it. Milling or filing and then polishing - you only need shallow lip and the dimensioning is crucial. But it is a tricky job - better left to the professional.