Canon Pinion Remover Tool?

PJA

43 minutes ago, PJA said:

Hello once again.

I want to buy a Canon Pinion Remover and I'm contemplating which of the following two (or else), is better to buy. 

For which purpose specifically? Not many movements need one. A nail clipper can also work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdm said:

For which purpose specifically? Not many movements need one. A nail clipper can also work.

No specific use right now, but I figured that I should have it in case I may need it.

Edited by PJA

Just now, PJA said:

No specific use right now, but I figured that I should have it in case I may need it.

With that approach the first thing you'd need would be a large tool case :biggrin:
Earlier the 7S26 and large small seconds calibers were mentioned. Neither one needs a pinion puller. 

4 hours ago, jdm said:

With that approach the first thing you'd need would be a large tool case :biggrin:
Earlier the 7S26 and large small seconds calibers were mentioned. Neither one needs a pinion puller. 

Thank you. I tell you. What do I know? I read and watch videos online and as far as I understood is that I'll need this tool amongst others, but now after you make me aware of the fact that I really won't have to really buy it, at least not at the beginning of learning, it will help me putting more financial efforts somewhere else.

A normal presto hand remover can be used as well, you just have pinch at the bottom to keep enough grip as you compress the sides to lift. (I believe the credit for that tip goes to mark though I cannot remember for sure)
I'd like to echo concerns I've heard from more than one senior watchmaker, of which I respect (again, I think one was mark) about pulling directly up, which can be difficult with improvised tools like pin vices and nail clippers. You run the risk of damage if by errant twitch you pull to the side and not directly up.

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

It really depends on what you're getting into as time goes by. On larger movements you can even use hand levers but keep that lift vertical !
Nailclippers concern me as you may squeeze and pull at the same time which could severely damage the pinion. But they are a great "Lazy" way of tightening a pinion whilst still attached.
I've come across several movements where accessing the pinion base has been difficult and the above pictured Bergeon tool has been the only effective way to remove it.
As for the second photo. I just regard these as a waste of money if only even cheap but they do make good crown pullers, if you're dealing with a split stem.
As for buying tools in case you may need them (Excellent Philosophy) definitely buy yourself a large tool box but don't let the Mrs know what you're up too [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Newbie poster here. I have the vintage version and I have found it works well for pocket-watches and wrist-watches. The fibre tip doesn't mar the pillar-plate, etc. And it has a nice straight pull. This is probably more important with wrist-watches than with pocket-watches, but it's surely always a good policy. I'll attach a scan of the promo/instructions that came with it. Maybe a search under the name "M-C Cannon-pinion Remover" will get you some results? Good luck.

M-C Canon-pinion remover09172017.jpg

• Like 1

While we're talking cannon pinions. This is a must for that gigantic tool box. It's basically a fancy pair of nail clippers with a micro adjuster. Made by Bergeon and comes with a fancy price. It's the best tool I've ever used for tightening cannon pinions and in my opinion, more accurate than using a staking set.735810842ba9fdcbcf2c1c0e21417fe1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

21 hours ago, digginstony said:

It really depends on what you're getting into as time goes by. On larger movements you can even use hand levers but keep that lift vertical !
Nailclippers concern me as you may squeeze and pull at the same time which could severely damage the pinion. But they are a great "Lazy" way of tightening a pinion whilst still attached.
I've come across several movements where accessing the pinion base has been difficult and the above pictured Bergeon tool has been the only effective way to remove it.
As for the second photo. I just regard these as a waste of money if only even cheap but they do make good crown pullers, if you're dealing with a split stem.
As for buying tools in case you may need them (Excellent Philosophy) definitely buy yourself a large tool box but don't let the Mrs know what you're up too emoji16.png

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

At this point of the game I am really into wrist watches and as time and experience progress, I guess I'll see where things will lead me too. As for the nail clipper, your point is well taken and for the toolbox, I am definitely not into the tools for the sake of tools collecting as you can imagine, but since I have no knowledge I gathered from reading here and there that it's an important part of the standard toolbox.

Thanks for the advice.

• 10 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, digginstony said:

While we're talking cannon pinions. This is a must for that gigantic tool box. It's basically a fancy pair of nail clippers with a micro adjuster. Made by Bergeon and comes with a fancy price. It's the best tool I've ever used for tightening cannon pinions and in my opinion, more accurate than using a staking set.735810842ba9fdcbcf2c1c0e21417fe1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd really like to understand how the two screw handles work. Why not just one screw? I actually feel a bit embarrassed to ask as it's probably obvious to "handy people". Actually, I've been trying to find a video or some documentation/illustrations but haven't been able to find anything really useful.

I can just guess. a) Put the cannon pinion on the shaft of for example an old oiler. b) Pinch the pliers at the dent in the pinion, and at first resistance screw in the screw in the pliers until you feel a slight resistance (Hm... will I be needing a third hand for that?). c) Screw back "a bit" and pinch! d) Done? No, I really can't vision it...

Anyone, please? Thanks!

EDIT: Or... pinch the pinion while seated on the arbor of the centre wheel? Hm... No... probably not...

Edited by VWatchie

• 4 months later...