Longines

chrisdt

Someone who knows I like messing with watches has asked me to look at his Longines wind up watch. For obvious reasons I only work on MY OWN watches but as he's a friend I said I will have look at it for him and he's assured me he wont hold me responsible for any damage incurred. The problem is winding. The crown is in good order but it feels very stiff and difficult to wind although with effort it can be done. Other than that it runs perfectly and keeps time. Before I start dismantling could anyone advise me what to look for. Could it perhaps be cured without dismantling?

Chris

Hi Chris, 

You might get a clue as to the problem when you attempt to remove the stem from the watch. If it's really tight or it's obvious that the stem seal has disintegrated / bent / corroded and is clogging things up, you may get away with replacing the seal and popping the stem back in.

However, the way these things normally run is that after stem removal and inspection you notice several issues associated with the crown wheel, stem, barre arbour or other things too.

So, I'd suggest disassembly will be necessary most of the time to get to the route of the problem!

Andy

Hello there,

Here is an exploded view of the setting and winding mechanism on a mechanical watch:

If the watch has a stiff feel when winding, it is likely an issue with the clutch wheel, setting wheel and/or the clutch lever. All of these parts need lubrication with moebius 9501 grease (the blue one). This cannot be remedied without uncasing the movement and removing the hands and dial to get to the keyless works.

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 12.16.09 PM.png

Stiff winding is usually in the crown. As SKEXIS says it probably has a damaged seal. O-ring gasket is either stiff or gooey . You can get away with cleaning the old gasket out but a new crown is the best. If you just clean the old gasket out the watch will not be waterproof anymore. But sometimes people don't want the Longines or Omega crowns to be replaced. 

1 minute ago, rogart63 said:

Stiff winding is usually in the crown. As SKEXIS says it probably has a damaged seal. O-ring gasket is either stiff or gooey . You can get away with cleaning the old gasket out but a new crown is the best. If you just clean the old gasket out the watch will not be waterproof anymore. But sometimes people don't want the Longines or Omega crowns to be replaced. 

If it is a new[er] Longines, then it would have an O-ring gasket in the crown, if its an older or dress watch, it's unlikely have an O-ring gasket in the crown.

J

8 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

You can get away with cleaning the old gasket out but a new crown is the best. If you just clean the old gasket out the watch will not be waterproof anymore.

Most crown gaskets can be replaced.

Most of the watches I've worked on wouldn't know water a gasket was. When I've encountered winding issues it's always been a build up of crud in the keyless works, no lubrication and usually always neglect of the mainspring and associated components.
This watch just probably needs a good servce

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, digginstony said:

Most of the watches I've worked ooleheartdelyn wouldn't know water a gasket was. When I've encountered winding issues it's always been a build up of crud in the keyless works, no lubrication and usually always neglect of the mainspring and associated components.
This watch just probably needs a good servce

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I agree entirely.

J