Waltham vintage captive stem.

skridlov

I have almost no experience of this brand. The whole watch seems in pretty good shape but lacks a crown. The stem is present but is captive in the case. I'm unable to find a crown for it among the hundreds of old crowns I possess. The outer thread diameter is approximately 1.2 mm but has some wear in the part that I can measure although the threads are not too badly damaged. It occurs to me that this thread may be a non-metric size. Also am I correct in thinking that the stem tube has an inner sleeve? I'd greatly appreciate some tips on how to deal with this and trust that the pics are adequate.

Roy

Waltham-TW-stem-9120066.jpg

Waltham-TW-stem-9120068.jpg

Waltham-TW-stem-9120069.jpg

Waltham-TW-stem-9120070.jpg

Waltham-TW-stem-9120071.jpg

Waltham-TW-stem-9120072.jpg

It's having a long jacuzzi right now. I have an identical (?) watch which is a potential donor. However one thing that's not identical is the diameter of the stem tube. And it almost looks as though there's a circlip (god forbid) inside the tube. To be continued.

Yes. it withdraws from the inside when de-gunked.

Edited by skridlov

It has a stem retaining sleeve that is screwed out from the top, but you need the correct tool to unscrew it, once you have removed it then the stem will come out.

Here is one on ebay to see what it looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALTHAM-POCKET-WATCH-CASE-UNDAMAGED-WINDING-STEM-SLEEVE-TUBE-/222631776299?hash=item33d5e3502b:g:W90AAOSwXrhXmhZu

This is also whats clicks the stem into setting and winding positions

• Like 1

Thanks folks!

The stem pulls out readily from the inside. Luckily I have four nearly identical movements and cases (the "nearly" is an insurance policy intended to ward off nasty surprises.) Nice movements but unfortunately the three that have serviceable balances are only seven jewel. Do I feel lucky today?

Roy

I'm waiting for a stem wrench (from US) so that I can adjust the depth of the sleeve. However, in the meantime I have two of these Waltham 1907s up and running. Or did, now there's only one. I watched the repair videos on this watch. Even after dismantling and trying to reassemble one I still don't understand how this keyless work functions - having reassembled it precisely as shown, it won't wind. 

Also, I don't think I will ever be able to align bridges and pinions. I'll stick to cleaning with the train in place. Despite thinking that this one's bridge was correctly positioned (it dropped into place with the locating pins in position and the pinions apparently located correctly; but how can you tell?) the whole train is now jammed and what was a working watch with the limitation of a badly adjusted stem is now scrap. About eight hours wasted.