Oscillating weight in an automatic watch.

123clocks

I need to remove the oscillating weight from a  Miyota 8205 automatic & manual winding movement.

Although this is a straight forward operation is there a very narrow (1mm or less) wide bladed screwdriver specifically for undoing such a wide slotted head screw to avoid any possible marking of the screw head or the laser engraving on the actual weight? I use top quality screwdrivers normally used in watch assembly/disassembly however this is one operation I would like to find a specific tool for.

I have tools for specific caliber locking rings used in higher quality movements however I have never found a generic tool for removing the oscillating weight in this type of movement.

Thank you all in advance for any information.

2 hours ago, 123clocks said:

Although this is a straight forward operation is there a very narrow (1mm or less) wide bladed screwdriver specifically for undoing such a wide slotted head screw to avoid any possible marking of the screw head or the laser engraving on the actual weight? I use top quality screwdrivers normally used in watch assembly/disassembly however this is one operation I would like to find a specific tool for.

No need for anything specific, a correctly sized driver will do. Low end Japanese mechanisms are designed to be serviced by all levels of technicians.

Note, there is a section on this forum where new members like to introduce themselves even before start asking questions.

2 minutes ago, clockboy said:

I am not 100% sure but last year I think I serviced that Movement. I can not remember any specific screwdrivers were required.

Of course not. Diver blade does not have to be as wide as the cut, it is not a tight screw.

Miyota_8205.jpg

Thanks JDM for posting a picture of the movement.

I have observed the forum from the time Mark started it. Never needed to make a post.

I am probably being a bit pedantic but that's just me. Call me a "tool nut" um yes I think that is what I mean. You just can't have to many tools -:) at least I can't.

My repair skills go back many years. OLD HIPPY and I could swap head photos accept I am greyer in the hair department.

Any way thank you all and best wishes from down under. BTW I used a correctly sized narrow blade and all is good.

9 hours ago, 123clocks said:

Call me a "tool nut" um yes I think that is what I mean.

Oh, don't worry. There are many like that here and anywhere. Some are even happy to never use the tools, LoL.

For me, what matters is that the job is done and is done right. Tools, like money, come and go.

Thanks JDM for posting a picture of the movement.
I have observed the forum from the time Mark started it. Never needed to make a post.
I am probably being a bit pedantic but that's just me. Call me a "tool nut" um yes I think that is what I mean. You just can't have to many tools -:) at least I can't.
My repair skills go back many years. OLD HIPPY and I could swap head photos accept I am greyer in the hair department.
Any way thank you all and best wishes from down under. BTW I used a correctly sized narrow blade and all is good.
I know what you mean its nice to have a specific screwdriver for the width of the screw on these Rotas [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk