Magnetism

TimFitz

After servicing, cleaning , installing new crystal, new mainspring, and winding stem, I have to wait for the hands from ebay. So I decided to check for magnetism with my little compass. I looked all over the place for my tiny cracker jack toy compass and finally found it stuck in the back of a little used drawer. I lose this thing all the time.  So I went to Esslinger to buy one i couldn't lose. The wanted $68 for one in a little wood box plus tax and shipping.

So I sat down and made a case for my toy compass out of scrap wood and cheap hardware. Here it is next to my Illinois 12s 19jewel pocket watch that is waiting for hands.

20170911_173823 (Medium).jpg

20170911_173853 (Medium).jpg

• Like 3

I really got mine in a cracker jack box a very long time ago it is 10mm diameter, and because it's so small it fits right on the balance wheel. It is very sensitive. The ones on amazon are much bigger. I have seen very small ones in craft stores as an insert on children's party favors. If I see any I will let you know.