Incabloc lyre spring escapee

jonsug

Hi everyone. I wonder if someone can help me. I am just a beginner and new to the site but reading through some of the threads have been amazed how helpful everyone is.

I have a 50's Universal Geneve wrist watch with a 263 movement which had stopped and needed a thorough clean. I have fully disassembled it but realise now I probably did not need to take off the upper (watch face side) balance pinion jewel plate with the lyre spring, just to clean the capstone and jewel!

Anyway, whilst struggling to reassemble this section, the lyre spring (pictured before escape) made a successful break for it and is lost to the world forever.  Could anyone please tell me how to find another of the right size to fit? I know Cousins sell them, but do not know how to relate their ETA sizes to UG movements. Is there a conversion list somewhere?

Hugely grateful for any assistance.

Best regards

Jon

IMG_7863 (2).JPG

Hello Jon. I'm sorry about your lost part as I know how that feels. I wouldn't give up looking for it though as usually they are just 1-2 feet away at most. Sometimes they get stuck on hands, fingers, clothing, etc.

If you ask me that looks like the standard incabloc that, more or less, most watches use and I wouldn't be surprised if they were mostly made in a standard size by the same manufacturer (happened often in horology).

Do you have any watches, perhaps cheap or broken down so that you can borrow the spring and check that, indeed, they are identical ? That's what I would do. Maybe a run to a local antique fair and buy a cheap broken one that has the same incabloc system.

As I have just assembled a much more complicated incabloc system today (3 star shaped) let me give you a hint. Put your movement inside a transparent plastic ziplock bag and work on it with your tweezers through the plastic, so to speak. Not only will you not lose the part but you can also use the plastic to lightly press onto the spring so that it won't jump around.

Hi Chopin, thank you for such a prompt response. I have searched for hours :(

Yes I'll have a look to see if I can buy an old movement from somewhere and hope the spring fits. Hard to measure the actual size in absenti, but if you think they are standard then its worth a go.

Good idea about the plastic bag, will definitely try that ... if I ever find another spring!!

Thanks again

2 hours ago, rogart63 said:

There is a pdf on the web somewhere that states a lot of movements .  I shall look and see if i find it? 

all help would be very welcome, thank you. Although, even if I have the part no, I am not sure exactly where I would go to buy one?

2 hours ago, jonsug said:

all help would be very welcome, thank you. Although, even if I have the part no, I am not sure exactly where I would go to buy one?

I think that was the pdf from ETA i was looking for . That old hippy linked to .  Haven't found anything else. 

You can by incabloc springs from cousinsuk .  Find out which size you need and buy the right size. 

this is a table of the sizes. IncaBloc-Table-sm.jpg