EE & watch noob from NE UK

FrankD

How do you do.

I'm Frank from Aberdeen, up in the north east of Great Britain.

I'm an engineer by profession mostly telecommunications in the space and telco industries with some work in European technical civil service.

I don't do any hands on work at work but I keep my hand in during my spare time with electronics repairs, including surface mount technologies. I've also an interest in botany. I'm struggling a bit without a stereomicroscope.

I've some old watches to repair including a Tag Heuer SEL quartz (955.112) whose bracelet broke. I then put it aside forgetting to take the battery out, it leaked, the watch is now dead on the movement holder with the date ring turned to hard melted plastic. I'll be looking for guidance on cleaning it up and replacing, perhaps repairing the movement.

My ex-neighbour is a watchmaker but I haven't seen him around his shop of late.

I'll also be posting a bit about tools and equipment. I don't have that many watches to justify massively kitting up but many tools will come in handy for electronics, hacking etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vinn3 said:

welcome to the repair forum.  the electronic and quartz must be right up your alley.  i tend to stay with the gear and spring watches.  cheers,    vin

That's the bit that makes me most nervous, more so than screws or springs popping. I don't want to be breaking that coil.

That's my first watch disassembled, small parts cleaned and partitioned into milk bottle lids. I'll clean the molten date ring/battery electrolyte off the back of the dial and the chassis tomorrow. I'll need to get some grease and oil. I might just save myself the price of a new movement.

• Like 1

Welcome Frank. That ETA movement can be found for 25-30$ on the internet so you could also replace it completely...

The date ring can also be bought by itself but they're pretty expensive for what they are. Cheaper in the States but costs quite a bit to get them here.

I had to do some work on such a movement myself but I decided it wasn't worth it. Mine wasn't a Tag though.

So far do you reckon that any components are damaged and need replacing ? You can test the coil with an ohm meter but I guess you knew that already. :)

• Like 1

You can get a new 955 with date ring on eBay for £20-25

If you want a challenge you can get 15 TAG branded 955s for £30 but these need repair.

Either option is a better start than your acid eaten wreck.

For tools you need a jewellers loupe, hands free in some form. A decent set of screwdrivers will be you friends (not a £1 set). Some wooden tooth picks, tweezers, cotton buds, isopropyl alcohol, movement clamp should get you going. If you like quartz movements then a quartz tester at about £30 is a good thing.

My greetings to you from NE England. It's a great hobby and a great bunch of people on here.

Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you want a challenge you can get 15 TAG branded 955s for £30 but these need repair.
For tools you need a jewellers loupe, hands free in some form. A decent set of screwdrivers will be you friends (not a £1 set). Some wooden tooth picks, tweezers, cotton buds, isopropyl alcohol, movement clamp should get you going. If you like quartz movements then a quartz tester at about £30 is a good thing.

My greetings to you from NE England. It's a great hobby and a great bunch of people on here.
Cheers Neil

Oh, a decent case knife too,

On 11/09/2017 at 8:01 AM, Neileg said:

Cheers Neil

I'm not particularly into quartz, it's just that's the watch I have that is broken and it was a present, so of some sentimental value. I did see 15 for £30 movements on ebay. Who knows. they might have all had battery leaks too. There are different height variants, per esslinger site.

There seems to be no corrosion under the microscope but it's going to cost more for lubricants than for a new movement.