Rotating Bezel remover.

digginstony

50 minutes ago, clockboy said:

The best way I have found to remove a bezel is with a old butter knife. It has a nice thin blade but is flexible so no damage to the bezel or case. Trusty butter knife/bezel remover

Try that on a Seiko Sumo, or even a 007 and you'll have it bent or in two parts. A flexible blade may not damage the case but it's also ineffective. Hard bezels are removed with a Seiko S-28x knife opener, (or a good copy), and the tip may need further sharpening. The large handle allows to pry correctly, remember that damage is done when twisting, but when you pull the tool handle up, the tip pushes on the case which is covered by the bezel, and the lower edge of the bezel, leaving no marks.

24 minutes ago, clockboy said:

I have used my butter knife method with Seiko divers, and also used it with my Rolex and Citizen bezels with no problems. Perhaps the Sumo is a different stye of bezel.

It's the same style, but much harder and inaccessible on the sides. If you could have a video removing an SKX007 bezel with a butter knife and no twisting, I'd love to see it.

12 hours ago, jdm said:

It's the same style, but much harder and inaccessible on the sides. If you could have a video removing an SKX007 bezel with a butter knife and no twisting, I'd love to see it.

Next time I get a diver or watch with a  bezel I will do. Watch this space !!!!

10 hours ago, clockboy said:

Next time I get a diver or watch with a  bezel I will do. Watch this space !!!!

Please try on a Seiko 007/9, which is the specific watch I was referring to. I agree that other types may be much easier to remove with improvised tools.

Ok I had a spare hour this afternoon so I thought I would have a go removing my Urchin bezel using a knife.
After about 20 minutes using a whole selection of kitchen knives and being totally red faced I hadn't made any progress (The Mrs won't be happy with me when she gets home from work and sees the knives either) I even taped the lugs and tried leverage and twisting, still no joy, so I gave up.
So I got the Horotec case grab out and removed the bezel in a couple of minutes. I don't reckon this tool to much as a case back remover but as a bezel remover, it's the BEST I've come across.
So insert the jaws apply tension, the bezel pops and gently lift up with no effort with a Seiko type case back remover. See pics e606e40bfd5a240ef5adaa134fe4ee8f.jpgea103fb03c65903b9d118e44c5065d79.jpg03b29f2631fc9b0e12ab4c11aa0df30d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, digginstony said:

So I got the Horotec case grab out and removed the bezel in a couple of minutes. I don't reckon this tool to much as a case back remover but as a bezel remover, it's the BEST I've come across.

That's heavy machinery! I have a Sumo which will need the bezel removed, and I would be much more relaxed with it. Will look on AliX for a knock-off :biggrin:

That's heavy machinery! I have a Sumo which will need the bezel removed, and I would be much more relaxed with it. Will look on AliX for a knock-off [emoji3]
From what you've said, this sort of tool could be ideal for a Sumo. I haven't been tinkering with wrist watches for that long, normally I play about with pocket watches but over the last year or so have certainly fallen for Seikos. This tool has been perfect for my skx,turtle and urchin.
As for using a knife, if there is a knack to it I certainly haven't got it. [emoji30]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk