Ingersoll 15 Jewel Lever

Hello Everybody,

Just a new member but stuck with this problem.

Does anyone know how to remove the dial from this watch?

The movement is out of the case. The hands are off, but I cannot find a way of removing the dial. Can't find anything securing the dial feet.

Wrist watches, mostly OK, pocket watches ???? new to me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

George

post-288-0-50398600-1407783940_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum George.

Regarding your problem with dial removal, if you study all the screws you may find that there are two that you only turn about quarter to a half turn to free the dial posts. These screws are not really screws, they are rotary knives that cut unto the copper post. I have not worked on this particular type of watch, so I may well be wrong.

I was about to suggest the same but, like Geo, I don't know those particular watches. The screws may very well be cams too, look carefully until you find them somewhere..towards the edge of the movement? Most important, let us know of your progress so everyone learns and rejoyce! :)

I almost forgot, welcome to the forum!

Edited by bobm12

There is one screw in roughly the 1:30 position in your pic dead in between the balance cock screw and the barrel bridge screw. The second screw is in roughly the 8:00 position in a hole in the barrel bridge.

I am also lacking in direct experience of this particular movement but those two screws do not look like bridge screws to me and I'm willing to bet that they are are the screws as described by Geo. Give them a half turn and gently test pry the dial to see if anything has loosened up at all. I do mean gently though, you do not want to deform the dial.

On a lot of movements that use this type of dial fixing you can actually see the ends of the dial feet next to the screw which allows you to push the dial out once the screw has been released.

• Like 1

Gentlemen,

You have a new name:  *****  Superstar's  *****.

Its was half a turn, clockwise!

I had previously tried to unscrew the two screws mentioned by Marc, but I was pushing against an end-stop. When I turned them half a turn clockwise (tightening), off the dial came. They are in fact the two blades that Geo mentioned.

I was beginning to lose faith, but now its onwards and upwards... until the next calamity :-).

Thanks again I'll post a pic when I put a new battery in the camera.

regards

George

• Like 1

Hello,

Just to let you know that all of the effort was to no avail.

The watch was purchased as a no-goer, with a broken mainspring. Mainspring turned out to be fine but the click and spring is missing.

You never know what you're going to get.

Find enclosed pic of the blade retainer for future reference.

Thanks for your help.

George

Ps How can I put a new pic on the forum?