Rado's Movement Repair?

PJA

Hello there.

I have just purchased this Rado watch at a flea market and want to try fixing it, as I see it has no screws but what looks like plastic rivets, and can't see any coil on the movement (unless it's underthe cover). Obviously, I will take it apart but just before doing so I wanted your expert opinion how to go about it. I know that it much easier and cheaper to just change the movement but for me the learning how to repair is more important. On the movement it reads; PC21A Moriko Tokei Japan.

Thank you.

RADO_PC21A.jpg

• Like 1

It is a Morioka Tokei movement and all of the electronic parts are missing. You can probably find a similar one in another inexpensive watch if you have some lying around. The other issue is that the watch does not look genuine in any manner becoming a Rado. I have run into more counterfeit Rados than genuine ones on the secondary market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I mean if you really want to play around fixing basic quartz movements you should probably find something with the common Miyota 2035 or similar, easy to find and everything comes apart and goes back together, with screws. I don't think it's possible to repair a plastic-riveted movement. 

Also, as has been said, this is a replica watch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gpsluvr said:

It is a Morioka Tokei movement and all of the electronic parts are missing. You can probably find a similar one in another inexpensive watch if you have some lying around. The other issue is that the watch does not look genuine in any manner becoming a Rado. I have run into more counterfeit Rados than genuine ones on the secondary market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I suspected that the watch is fake but the glass and dials are good and clean and all I had to pay is about $5. Thanks for the info though.

1 hour ago, Ishima said:

I mean if you really want to play around fixing basic quartz movements you should probably find something with the common Miyota 2035 or similar, easy to find and everything comes apart and goes back together, with screws. I don't think it's possible to repair a plastic-riveted movement. 

Also, as has been said, this is a replica watch. 

Thank you. In fact, I was really looking for Seiko, but all I've found is this one and one that read (I am not sure if it's genuine) Seiko 7123-8510, since I am really new to this hobby I am trying to play it safe, but aside from cheap Chinese dead watches these two I've bought, looked a bit more decent.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 1:26 AM, PJA said:

I suspected that the watch is fake but the glass and dials are good and clean and all I had to pay is about $5.

That is about $4.99 too much.

You can buy genuine quartz watches in lots on Y! JP for less than $1 each, all they need is to replace the battery. Or on Ebay from Ramon like many here have done. Granted, you get a pile of junk but at least is authentic or almost.

• Like 2