Hi guys anyone replaced the crystal on a citizen promaster? Where could I source one or a sapphire equivalent?

Airoh108

No need to replace, you can easily polish the original. Use the search box top right.

Sapphire for divers that are not popular can't be found, because they are thicker than the generic available, or are beveled, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info the scratches are too deep to polish out I tried with polywatch and a diamond paste so I removed the crystal and its 27.71mm wide and 2mm thick I found some generic crystals at 27.5mm and 2mm thick and a sapphire same dimensions. Do you think I should go for 28mm wide? The crystal gasket looks fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Airoh108 said:

Thanks for the info the scratches are too deep to polish out I tried with polywatch and a diamond paste so I removed the crystal and its 27.71mm wide and 2mm thick I found some generic crystals at 27.5mm and 2mm thick and a sapphire same dimensions. Do you think I should go for 28mm wide? 

You will need the exact size, 28.70. To polish  deep scratches, first use 600 grit wet paper, in form of a 5cm disc on a rotary tool. Then move to 1000 oor 1500, and finish with diamond paste. Polywatch has no use on glass crystals.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 13.9.2017 at 8:00 PM, Airoh108 said:

Result on the crystal replacement thanks for all your info guys pleased with the result

Hello,

I own the same watch since some days and the crystal is slightly scratched, so I would like to replace it. May I ask which crystal you finally used?

Which diameter is the correct one (above I can find 27.71 27.8 and 28.7)?

Maybe you even have an article number for a matching crystal

Thank you

Stefan

Hello,
I own the same watch since some days and the crystal is slightly scratched, so I would like to replace it. May I ask which crystal you finally used?
Which diameter is the correct one (above I can find 27.71 27.8 and 28.7)?
Maybe you even have an article number for a matching crystal
Thank you
Stefan

Hi Stefan,
Will let you know later when I get home.

Thanks for your answer. That already helps a lot to get an overview over available crystals.

That means, you replaced the domed crystal with a flat one. How did that change the look of the watch?

I think I would rather like to keep the original look of the watch.

It seems like I have to remove the crystal to see which thickness it has (middle, corner).

There are two Sternkreuz versions that might match the original:

MDH 278 (domed 2mm)

XMF/O 278.744 (domed with flat bottom 1.6mm - 3.2mm)

Thanks

Stefan

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

For that purpose the best is polishing the original crystal. No need to remove it from the case. Many threads about that.

Thanks for your answer. That already helps a lot to get an overview over available crystals.
That means, you replaced the domed crystal with a flat one. How did that change the look of the watch?
It seems like I have to remove the crystal to see which thickness it has (middle, corner).
There are two Sternkreuz versions that might match the original:
MDH 278 (domed 2mm)
XMF/O 278.744 (domed with flat bottom 1.6mm - 3.2mm)
Thanks
Stefan

I love the look of mine the flat crystal makes the dial pop more but I haven't tried your suggestions. Let us know how it goes. Fantastic watches I have 3 now. Enjoy

346a42eddb542361c527f9c65f776709.jpg

You are right, this looks better than expected.

Nevertheless I think I will go with a domed crystal. Will keep you informed and add some pictures.

Polishing the crystal doesn't seem an option to me, especially because a new crystal is available for under 10 €.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the promised feedback.
As planned, I used a XMF/O Sternkreuz 278.744. I'm happy with the result. 

The comparison picture shows the new crystal on the left vs. the original on the right hand side.
You can see that the border of the replacement is a lot thinner than the original, in the center the height is comparable. If I would really like to use the watch for diving, I would't be very confident concerning the stability against water pressure. For swimming and normal use it should be sufficient.

The other two pictures show the watch before and after switching the crystal.

Thank you for your input.

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5397.JPG

Here is the promised feedback.
As planned, I used a XMF/O Sternkreuz 278.744. I'm happy with the result. 
The comparison picture shows the new crystal on the left vs. the original on the right hand side.
You can see that the border of the replacement is a lot thinner than the original, in the center the height is comparable. If I would really like to use the watch for diving, I would't be very confident concerning the stability against water pressure. For swimming and normal use it should be sufficient.
The other two pictures show the watch before and after switching the crystal.
Thank you for your input.
IMG_5390.thumb.JPG.7fc7fc9743f6740428873da03c8bf8f7.JPG
IMG_5393.thumb.JPG.52d89686c6269f0e605efaa0c09db409.JPG
IMG_5386.thumb.JPG.cc15b9549925e63be29600b484e63e37.JPG
IMG_5401.thumb.JPG.ef76bf44fdfbb368e99f4068e021dc05.JPG
IMG_5397.thumb.JPG.ea14f4f26f1286c70ca37d3f3ee4b930.JPG

Very nice looks great