Placing a T-end mainspring back in the barrel - how to line the T up?

Hi guys,

I'm working on a watch with a T-end mainspring. The mainspring still looks good, so I cleaned it and wound it into my mainspring winder. The problem when I put it back into the barrel is that I cannot get the T to fit into the cutouts in the barrel and lid. I tried aligning it by looking through the barrel cutout and placing the T there before ejecting the spring from the winder, but it still moved. I assume that if I simply put the lid back on and assemble the watch, the spring will align itself when it is wound, but that would probably damage both the spring and the barrel. 

How do you gurus do this? 

-- 
Best regards,
Stian

• Like 1

This issue has been covered before on this forum. It seems you have to wind the spring with it cover off until it slides into position. I don,t know what spring winder you are using but is it possible to position the T end into barrel slot before releasing. The other thought is to hand wind the spring in. 

• Like 1

Alright, seems the verdict is clear, although hand winding a mainspring seems very tedious in today's world... 

Thanks everyone for helping solve yet another problem! This forum and its members are a fantastic example of what an online community can be.

-- 
Best regards,
Stian

• Like 1

Using a mainspring winder with T end Springs works great if you remember to leave a little bit of the spring out. so insert starting with the little bit of spring sticking out first in the barrel followed by the winder. Rotate until the T is over the hole. Then using, I usually use a large screwdriver push until the T is in the hole. Because if you don't get it in first it will not just magically pop in place all by itself. Then pushing on the T holding it in place you can now push the spring out and it will stay word supposed to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm a hobbyist who works primarily with early 20th Century pocket watches.  I had the same question.  I found a tutorial on the Internet Horology Club 185 web site (www.ihc185.org).  The tutorial was in the Forums section, listed under John D. Duvall's "Helping Hand Tutorials"  The program was titled, "Using the K&D Mainspring Winder."   http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7576090143/m/3446070753   The program provides a simple and logical technique for getting the T-end into it's hole in the barrel.  I don't know if it will work with the modern winders, but it works like a champ with the old style winders.   Good luck, Frank

3 hours ago, fg3112 said:

I'm a hobbyist who works primarily with early 20th Century pocket watches.  I had the same question.  I found a tutorial on the Internet Horology Club 185 web site (www.ihc185.org).  The tutorial was in the Forums section, listed under John D. Duvall's "Helping Hand Tutorials"  The program was titled, "Using the K&D Mainspring Winder."   http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7576090143/m/3446070753   The program provides a simple and logical technique for getting the T-end into it's hole in the barrel.  I don't know if it will work with the modern winders, but it works like a champ with the old style winders.   Good luck, Frank

I have amongst my many winders that exact model & it does work really great. If anyone see's one on the bay I recommend trying to purchase. The downside is it does fit small watch size barrels.

• 4 years later...

On 9/7/2017 at 5:45 AM, fg3112 said:

http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7576090143/m/3446070753   The program provides a simple and logical technique for getting the T-end into it's hole in the barrel.  I don't know if it will work with the modern winders, but it works like a champ with the old style winders.

F10B06E4-2074-4274-826B-31E86273422F.thumb.jpeg.1b84458f28e7464a88b20a3840deaecf.jpeg

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1