Seiko 5m62a kinetic not holding charge

I have just fitted a new 5m62a movement to a Seiko kinetic diver and i'm sure its not charging correctly , after fitting it moved to the 5 sec mark and after swinging it for a good few minutes it goes to the 10 sec mark only to return to 5sec mark a short time later.

I've read these can be a pain to charge but it shouldn't get up to 10 sec mark then fall back to 5 in such a short time should it ?

Just wondered if i'd done something wrong , the movement did come with what looks like a connector type thing pictured below but there didn't appear to be anything like it on the old movement ?

Any advice most appreciated Tia Andy

35957066794_9ddb0d9a7f_b.jpg

3 hours ago, clockboy said:

This vid by Mark might be of some use. I also have read that they need a good wind on the stem to fully charge them.

Thanks CB i have looked at Marks video , my movement was a brand new out the packet movement and capacitor , thats why i wonder if its something I've done . Bit of a nuisance if the movements faulty as i can't send it back 

• Like 1

It does take a lot of wearing to get these up to full power in fact on one of the Seiko 5m62 i own I have only ever had it up to full power once and that was after a week of constant wearing most of the time it only ever showed 1 month of power at a time. The Seiko manual for these says that 500 swings of the rotor will give you two days power reserve now that's a lot more than a good few minutes its more like 15-20 minutes of shaking.

Seiko say that the power indicator may not show the correct power if you use it straight  after swinging the watch you should wait between 10-15 minute to get a accurate indication. Winding the watch via the crown only works on the Seiko direct drive kinetic models so would be of no use to you with this watch wearing for a week would let you determine if it charging correctly.

You can also buy induction charging units for Seiko Kinetics if all that shaking worries you

Edited by wls1971
  • Like 1

the odd part that came with the movement is the Contact point spring. The PDF manual below explains about what it's for, not found in all cased movements though.

Then if you're concerned about whether the circuits actually charging or not in the manual explains how to test the charging circuit.

Then minor confusion the early kinetics used capacitors later there was an upgrade to a lithium battery this one specifically is designed only for the lithium battery. The lithium battery has a much longer running time but also takes way way more swings to charge up which is why having one of Seiko's automatic charging units works really nice if you could find one.

then the charge indicator also explained in the manual. So five seconds is between one and seven days. 10 seconds is between seven days and one month. So as a wild guess when you're attempting to charge it up if you're on a borderline is why you might see it drops so fast back the five seconds because you really didn't get very far into the 10 second charge indicator. The manual explains how we are supposed to swing and it appears to be if I'm reading correctly once the secondhand is stepping at one second increments between 200 and 250 swings gives you one day. so if you want to go beyond the five second indication mark it looks like you need the swing the watch a minimum of 1400 times in the proper fashion.

http://www.seikodigitalwatches.com/5XXX/5M6263A.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

the odd part that came with the movement is the Contact point spring. The PDF manual below explains about what it's for, not found in all cased movements though.

Then if you're concerned about whether the circuits actually charging or not in the manual explains how to test the charging circuit.

Then minor confusion the early kinetics used capacitors later there was an upgrade to a lithium battery this one specifically is designed only for the lithium battery. The lithium battery has a much longer running time but also takes way way more swings to charge up which is why having one of Seiko's automatic charging units works really nice if you could find one.

then the charge indicator also explained in the manual. So five seconds is between one and seven days. 10 seconds is between seven days and one month. So as a wild guess when you're attempting to charge it up if you're on a borderline is why you might see it drops so fast back the five seconds because you really didn't get very far into the 10 second charge indicator. The manual explains how we are supposed to swing and it appears to be if I'm reading correctly once the secondhand is stepping at one second increments between 200 and 250 swings gives you one day. so if you want to go beyond the five second indication mark it looks like you need the swing the watch a minimum of 1400 times in the proper fashion.

http://www.seikodigitalwatches.com/5XXX/5M6263A.pdf

Many thanks for that , that explains it perfectly , i think it was just me expecting it to be quicker to charge than that and worrying that i had done something wrong  , we are now up to the 20 mark , so i think its all ok.

thanks again Andy

On 8/25/2017 at 5:49 PM, clockboy said:

Oh perhaps it's just not fully charged. I have read it skips seconds when not charged & to give it a full charge you have to wind the stem a lot initially 

I currently have a 5M42A with the same issue, and this video is a great help, just need to source a new capacitor now.

2 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

I currently have a 5M42A with the same issue, and this video is a great help, just need to source a new capacitor now.

Capacitors are not sold anymore, having been replaced by rechargeable batteries which are slower to recharge as described above. However the term is still (incorrectly) very used.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Capacitors are not sold anymore, having been replaced by rechargeable batteries which are slower to recharge as described above. However the term is still (incorrectly) very used.

I found cousinsuk stock them but won't ship to Finland, so found one on eBay in the end.

I noticed that this watch doesn't allow you to manually wind the movement too which is frustrating.

36751042661_96c12c231f_o.png30235MZ by S STEEL, on Flickr

Edited by SSTEEL

16 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Seiko kinetics as noted above do not hand wind because it would greatly add to the mechanical complex of the watch. So as an alternative Seiko has the YT02A-A kinetic energy supplier charger. I've attached the PDF below.

Seiko YT02A KC_2005(Eng).pdf

Shame the chargers aren't a bit cheaper , can't really justify the money they seem to go for unfortunately , i'm still on the 20 sec mark but to be fair i haven't paid it that much attention now I know it's ok.

19 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

36751042661_96c12c231f_o.png

Maxell TC920S is a Titanium Carbon Lithium Rechargeable Battery, attached data sheet.
Ads mentioned before, true capacitors have been completely replaced by rechargeable batteries but the name is still widely and incorrectly used.

TC_15e.pdf

Edited by jdm