Obtaining an Omega (or equiv.) square crystal

I  have a very nice square Omega de ville auto (rotor) 12.83 from '73-74. Runs very well but requires a lens - roughly 250 sq. But the watch is slim and I assume that the lens will need the correct profile  to avoid jamming (and look right.) The bezel is curved, not flat and I can't interpret the Sternkreuz catalogue sufficiently to order something - I can't tell whether the profiles listed are for flat bezels or curved. Someone's going to think me pretty dim but no matter - I have trouble with this all the time where rectangular watches are concerned. I'd prefer to get a mineral glass but I'd settle for a UB! Any suggestions?

Roy

Why not phone the retailer. Explain your difficulty I'm sure you'll find them helpful . If you don't have the original crystal or reference number, order a few. One the size you measured it to be, then a couple slightly larger in increments

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Hi and thanks, Obtaining Omega vintage spares (this is a '73/4 piece) seems near impossible - at least as far as Omega are concerned. Ofrei suggested I write to my congressman about it! Maybe I'll try an MP.

The case number is 161021. My first search drew a blank but I'll continue looking. I also contacted a custom lens maker  but given the tricky profile and the requirement for clearance, getting something made that doesn't look horrible sounds challenging. Anyone know some more custom suppliers who they can recommend?

Roy

I can only suggest Cousinsuk but assume you have tried them. Something in the back of my mind is saying Omega only guaranteed to stock parts and repair for the first 30 years of the date of it's production. Now Swatch owns Omega, best of luck

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Have you checked tiptopcrystals? The crystal you need is called VP2075

No trace of this on their site and although they replied, they emphasised the need for precise measurement - and no reference to the above code; and the three items they suggested in a link are all out of stock. I can measure the corner to corner dimensions easily enough, however without a suitable profile gauge I can't measure the radius of the bezel. Without an example of the crystal itself I can't know the profile of the glass. Stymied. Still, there's £300 of scrap gold there...

Roy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GleaveandCoLuke said:

Only replying as this is a very rare part and will be near impossible to find elsewhere.  We have the Omega part, VP2075, measures 258.5mm square, curved along the edges, omega symbol in the middle.  £30 + post and vat.

Hi Luke. SOLD! Please let me know how to proceed.

Roy

20 hours ago, ro63rto said:

Try
http://www.crystalfit.co.uk/

Sent from my Honor 5c

I've used Crystalfit once previously and the job was pretty well done (asymmetrical hexagon). However Steve is very reluctant to respond to emails requesting information. For example I asked about his insurance and whether he'd need the (pretty valuable, gold) watch with movement and hands fitted (for clearance). No reply at all. And a follow up stating "I thought it wasn't an unreasonable question" also generated no response. It's an odd way to conduct a business.

Roy