Case Opening, How To?

PJA

Hello once again. I have this YSL 5421 quartz watch which wasn't opened for about 10 years and I just can't open it, since I am not sure whether I should force it or is there any trick that I can't see how to open it, and I rather ask you how to go about it. I have the knife and a watch pray type opening tools, but this back seems to be shot real tight and hope I won't have to buy the $100 case back opening tool at this stage of my hobby, although Since we are on the subject I would love to know which one you think better or preferred for future consideration. Thank you

001_YSL_5421-H04732Y.jpg

I’m not saying this is right. You could try removing the bracelet by taking out the lugs and see if there is something to press in then push the movement out of the case. I have come across this method in some old mechanical watch movements.     

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I’m not saying this is right. You could try removing the bracelet by taking out the lugs and see if there is something to press in then push the movement out of the case. I have come across this method in some old mechanical watch movements.     

Nothing like that here. Cheap pressed in back type.

• Like 1

Also, please be aware that in some cases the movement+dial is removed from the front. Sometimes you have to remove the crown first through a certain technique and then the dial and movement comes out, after the crystal has been lifted, of course.

Sometimes there's some sort of a chassis that is attached to the movement, dial, crystal and case back and it comes out of the case. Roamer had this system.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chopin said:

Also, please be aware that in some cases the movement+dial is removed from the front. Sometimes you have to remove the crown first through a certain technique and then the dial and movement comes out, after the crystal has been lifted, of course.

Sometimes there's some sort of a chassis that is attached to the movement, dial, crystal and case back and it comes out of the case. Roamer had this system.

In mass produced Japanese watches, mov.t ALWAYS comes out from the back.
No need to overthink when things are immediately evident like in this case.

• Like 1

For clarification, it's a simple pressed in case back, cheap way of doing things perhaps but a YSL is not a cheap watch, that's worth keeping in mind. (just at the risk of getting confused on that) 

There are many watches like this out there that really have no lip or entry point and are for all intents and purposes, impossible to open with the conventional case back tools. 

You could try getting one of these, they may or may not work well.
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bench-top-case-openers

Failing that there is the 'tap method' which can either be done so wrong or so right, id hate to give remote instruction on it.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the great help! I just wanted to update. So far I have my tools bought from China and I have found myself learning how to open backs for battery replacements (I've fixed one or two contacts on friends watches) and learning how to deal with cheap tools which need sometimes to be sharpened and other such improvements just to make them work fairly decent and while as it seems I am getting sucked into this new hobby just by chance, I've ordered  a few Bergeon screwdrivers and probably more according to my budget and progress. My real saver as it seems is about 30 years old Leatherman which happened to have a really great most precise tip and strong high-quality metal on its small screwdriver which helped me many times to open back cases. 

About the YSL watch, in my non-expert opinion, it was badly made as I see damage to the case done from previous battery changes, this cap produced a bit too big for comfort I would say, I had to struggle not to damage the case while having no way of holding it study. Herewith attached a photo to illustrate.

001_30YO_Leatherman.jpg

YSL is not a cheap watch, that's worth keeping in mind. (just at the risk of getting confused on that) 

Yes but you're paying for the style and the brand not so much the watch engineering. The construction of a YSL is pretty conventional as shown in this example.
I have a problem with the common type of case knife because they can be a real liability with tight backs. I prefer my grandad's pocket knife. It is strong and reasonably sharp and eases into gaps that purpose made knives can't touch.
Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jdm said:

In mass produced Japanese watches, mov.t ALWAYS comes out from the back.
No need to overthink when things are immediately evident like in this case.

I was talking about other possible cases and watches, not this one. Just generally saying... :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PJA said:

My real saver as it seems is about 30 years old Leatherman which happened to have a really great most precise tip and strong high-quality metal on its small screwdriver which helped me many times to open back cases. 

Strong and quality for sure, but the tips folds easily when pressing hard, and is not even close to the shape needed to open case backs. I really recommend to avoid to work on watches using a Leatherman tool. 

About the YSL watch, in my non-expert opinion, it was badly made as I see damage to the case done from previous battery changes, this cap produced a bit too big for comfort I would say, I had to struggle not to damage the case while having no way of holding it study. 

The watch is made adequately for its cost and purpose. Damage depends on the person which has assaulted it and nothing else.
To hold it steady you can cut two pieces of wood to go in between and around the lugs, and place in a vice. It is difficult to pry open a square back without leaving any marks, all depends by the blade and technique used. For example, you NEVER twist the tip, but simply go around until it pops. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Strong and quality for sure, but the tips folds easily when pressing hard, and is not even close to the shape needed to open case backs. I really recommend to avoid to work on watches using a Leatherman tool. 

The watch is made adequately for its cost and purpose. Damage depends on the person which has assaulted it and nothing else.
To hold it steady you can cut two pieces of wood to go in between and around the lugs, and place in a vice. It is difficult to pry open a square back without leaving any marks, all depends by the blade and technique used. For example, you NEVER twist the tip, but simply go around until it pops. 

Thanks for the tips. I try to use the Leatherman only in such cases when is no choice for me, and about holding the watch I will make one of these wooden holders. 

17 hours ago, Ishima said:

Replica? I've never opened a YSL that didn't have a swiss movement in it and that is a Miyota, right?

BTW: My wife has bought the watch at reputable place, but remembered that she went to replace a dead battery (over 10 years ago) and the owner asked her to leave the watch with some sort of excuse and then took the watch back and there is a chance that the movement was replaced without her knowledge of course, according to her these things happens quite often in the Philipines. Thanks for making me aware of the issue.

1 hour ago, PJA said:

BTW: My wife has bought the watch at reputable place, but remembered that she went to replace a dead battery (over 10 years ago) and the owner asked her to leave the watch with some sort of excuse and then took the watch back and there is a chance that the movement was replaced without her knowledge of course, according to her these things happens quite often in the Philipines. Thanks for making me aware of the issue.

I don't think that this watch has ever had a different mov.t than the current one. It is a Japan watch as indicated on the back, visible in the first picture, so no chance of using a Swiss mov.t.
YSL is a fashion brand like another, they are not tied to any country or manufacturer.

Edited by jdm

I don't think it would have been modified in that way. Practically impossible and nowhere near worth the effort for the gain. Perhaps I have them priced up wrongly in my mind. I don't believe YSL produce watches anymore? It also seems like I overestimated their value, though hard to tell as they apparently don't produce watches anymore, that I can tell. 

Edited by Ishima

I don't think that this watch has ever had a different mov.t than the current one. It is a Japan watch as indicated on the back, visible in the first picture, so no chance of using a Swiss mov.t.
YSL is a fashion brand like another, they are not tied to any country or manufacturer.
Absolutely. I've come across a few supposedly manufactured Swiss watches with Japanese movements in but never the other way round.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1