Movement id (again)

Hi all,

Here's another one my limited experience won't let me id.

There's virtually no Identifying marks anywhere on the movement and the watch dial states the brand "Ultra" which is an unknown to me.

The movement seems characteristic enough to enable identification but I'm not getting anything useful from ex. ranfft. I suppose it's a 30-40's movement that's been upgraded to take the Incabloc's?

Besides that it need a new setting lever spring, I have decent hope to get it running again.

Also, I added a photo to illustrate what over the top lubrication might look like.... :biggrin:

Grateful for any feedback!

IMG_3485 (redigerad).JPG

down.jpg

dial side.jpg

Another piece of info on this movement that might be useful for id as it stands out a bit (at least for me).

I have learned that on most movements the screw holding the crown wheel is left threaded and the one for the ratchet wheel into the barrel arbor is a common right threaded.

On this movement both are left threaded, something I don't think I have encountered before (and almost caused me thrashing the threads)

Useful ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another piece of info on this movement that might be useful for id as it stands out a bit (at least for me).

I have learned that on most movements the screw holding the crown wheel is left threaded and the one for the ratchet wheel into the barrel arbor is a common right threaded.

On this movement both are left threaded, something I don't think I have encountered before (and almost caused me thrashing the threads)

Useful ?

No immediate recognition but something that might be of interest to you is that if you go to ebay and do a search for item 142259872185 and then item 171670454415 both these movements have striking similarities to yours (although some differences too!).

The main point is that both these separate sellers refer to the movement as 'ETA Benrus' with the former narrowing it down to a 'Benrus AD10 ETA 810'. I realise this is then very different to the ETA 810 shown on ranfft but might at least give you some information to search on further (???)

Its a bit of a mystery this watch in that it could be identified as being made by two manufactures in flume it is down as a Nouvelle Fabrique Tavannnes cal 38 which is a 10.5 ligne movement the dial side of this watch is a exact match to the movement you have in your pictures and the hand setting parts are a exact match to the ones on your movement apart from your watch as a broken setting lever spring. The other maker could be a ETA calibre 38  listed in Catalogue Officiel which is also a exact match and also a 10.5 ligne movement this cant be coincidence as both manufactures also did a centre seconds version designated as a calibre 38-1 it must have be a collaboration between both manufacturers.

Just to muddy the water further Tavannnes originally called this movement a Eberle 38 

Correction :

I have miss read the the Nouvelle Fabrique Tavannes  watch symbol in Catalogue Officiel which is a E.T in a shield as E.T.A it is definetley a  nouvelle fabrique and Not a E.T.A I must get a pair of reading glasses ! I will leave the above mistake as a sign my own stupidity !:wacko:

Edited by wls1971
Old age, on set of dementia and eye strain
  • Like 1

Thanks for feedback!

The Tavannes 38 I find on ranfft is for sure identical on the dial side. And I guess the fact that the shown sample is a lot later than what I suppose mine is can explain for the significant differences on the other side.

I can imagine that bridges went through modernization while maintaining the basic design in other aspects?

Googling for Tavannes 38 an apparently similar discussion shows up from watchuseek in 2012. UnfortunatelyI can't seem to acces the pictures though.

This is a good start for further sleuthing and who knows, maybe I source a replacement for the setting lever spring from somewhere!

The setting lever and any other parts you may need are widely available on Cousins on the movement page select E.T/NFT the setting lever spring is £5.96

The bridges on movements when trying to identify watch movements in most cases tell you very little on a sterile unmarked movement it is the dial side that allows positive identification of movements it is the unique finger print of a movement, the bridges may vary widely but the geometry of the movement wheel train and balance will be the same.

Aaahhh... E.T. Is short for ebauches tavannes..?

And thanks for the hint regarding the the dial side characteristics being the identifying point. It's easy to get blinded by the cosmetics on the train side when (as you point out) it's the underlying geometry that counts.

Btw, the movement is now up and running nicely. Definitely worth a new setting lever spring!

And I attached a photo of the dial that many may find deteriorated but I see a "pointilistic charm" 1249d74070fa3fa5db648296c1a0e397.jpg

• Like 1

Aaahhh... E.T. Is short for ebauches tavannes..?

And thanks for the hint regarding the the dial side characteristics being the identifying point. It's easy to get blinded by the cosmetics on the train side when (as you point out) it's the underlying geometry that counts.

Btw, the movement is now up and running nicely. Definitely worth a new setting lever spring!

And I attached a photo of the dial that many may find deteriorated but I see a "pointilistic charm" 1249d74070fa3fa5db648296c1a0e397.jpg