A Baume From The 1950S - Possibly Stolen At Some Point...

WillFly

I picked up a 1950s Baume off the Bay - it arrived this morning. Quite a good dial, with a reasonable movement that appears to be keeping time but will need a clean - there's a hint of rust here and there - and a curious case inner. The case numbers have been ground away, which leads me to believe that, at some point in its long life, it's been stolen - with the case numbers ground off to conceal the watch's identity. The case back was an absolute bu$$ger to get off - hadn't been opened in years - so I think the seller was innocent of any knowledge of it's history. He's a 747 pilot, so probably picked it up on a long haul...

This Baume, of course, is not the Baume of Baume & Mercier, who are a different branch of the family. You can tell by the little serif on top of the upper-case "A" that it's Alexander Baume who established a firm in Switzerland and London at the beginning of the 20th century, and who also became the import agent for Longines and Heuer. Anyway - fairly interesting. I'll get it cleaned and then decide whether it's a keeper...

post-64-0-97804400-1407401448_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-53540200-1407401458_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-98283200-1407401468_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...