POCKET WATCH HANDS

Good morning

I have posted a few times on this forum and am amazed at how many responses I get to questions I have asked and how helpful everyone is. I am new to watch repair but am learning every day and I thank you for sharing ideas and advice.

I have overhauled a vintage pocket watch but the hands on it when I got it were in very poor condition. It is an old English made pocked watch and has the classic English lever style of hands with the minute hand being mounted on the square nut. I have searched high and low for replacement blued hands but can not find any of the size I need. Is there somewhere that supplies new or even good condition used spares other than Ebay to get a replacement? Or do any of the members on here have a selection of old hands they would be prepared to sell if they were the right sizes. The minute hand square section is 1.5mm in size and is 23mm in length. The minute hand has an inner diameter of 2.75mm with a length of 12mm.

The shape of the hands is the same as the pair shown on the far left in the first picture http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Three-pairs-verge-fusee-pocket-watch-hands-square-hole-minute-/202019909654?hash=item2f09533016:g:logAAOSwRYBZkB6r

All help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Andy

The type you are after are called spade. Here is a photo of what I think you are looking for.

I’ve been retired from the horological business for many years, apart from picking up  stock from ebay I don’t think I can help, apart from back in my days I would go to auctions and dig around or look out for watchmakers who were retiring.

e1927feff3846a4160c55f7a45d36ff8.jpg

Edited by oldhippy

Hi oldhippy

Those are the exact hands that came with the watch. I think all old pocket watches suffer a similar fate of people trying to move the hands with their fingers to change the time instead of using a key so they get bent multiple times and in the end work harden and break.

The ones on that watch look in remarkable condition.

Andy