Casio Mma-200 W

I have a discontinued Casio diver who died honorably in the line of duty. It has an Ana-Digi movement with a day/date window @ 3 for the digital display. Casio can't fix or replace the movement. They are not even interested!

post-253-0-73458100-1407371769.png

I am looking for options as far as replacing this movement for an all analog quartz one. Any suggestions of what might fit? Thank you in advance.

Robert

PS. The picture is not my actual watch but a twin I found on line for illustration purposes.

Hi Bob,

There are many measurements which help determine suitability.. diameter, thickness of movement, etc..For your purposes.. the most critical will be distance of middle of stem to dial face.... I would expect a watch with date function to have greater distance from dial to stem compared to a watch with only time function for obvious reasons.

For most swiss watches you can find the critical dimension in the ranfft website but unfortunately this does not have casio movts. info is listed under data.. click on 'comments on the data' for explanations. You need to find out the 'T' value.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk

Heres what I would do...

Put the dial in the case and measure as best as you can the distance from the middle of the stem hole to the rear face of the dial... this is your 'T' value (increments of 0.1mm should suffice). You need to measure the dial thickness as well, if it is thick then the movt will need higher posts for the hands.

Then give this info to your watch supplier and see if they can help. The diameter / thickness would be less critical as movement rings to suit a new movement are readily available from the supplier of the new movement... since they are plastic you can buy thicker and trim down. Your case looks big enough to take even the biggest quartz movement!

Most watchmakers who do battery changes usually have stock of movements available and if you bring your watch along they may let you try one on for size...

Don't forget to get dial and hands to suit !

While this sounds quite involved, the risk is quite minimal as quartz movements are cheap..  and the satisfaction / collness of having built your own watch is incomparable.

Anil

Hi Anil,

This is priceless information to me. I appreciate it. I reached the step where I go into purchase mode and so the search for the right movement begins!

Here is the story so far:

Originally, I thought this movement could be substituted with an 11 1/2 ligne. At the time I was trying to figure out the lay off of the case with its crown @ 4 and day/date window @ 3. And so I tried a Ronda and then a Miyota movement (I believe the 517, can't remember the other) but the day/date window was off so the numbers were not centered.  Now, I have a feeling a 10 1/2 ligne will show correctly so I will visit my local watchmaker as you suggested! And since I've now measured the stem height I can contact my supplier for the right movement and ring... Life is good!

For the record:

Interestingly the dial although seemingly big, is 28.96 mm "showing" only about 25 mm because of the chapter ring. It is also  0.43 mm thick and the day/date window is 4.16 mm from the center of the dial. The T distance is approximately 0.96 mm. The case opening is 29.27 mm and the total height from the back of the dial to a marked line on the case before the end of the threaded portion (apparently delimiting the max. height of a movement) is 2.34 mm. These are my measurements with my cheapo caliper.

I'll come back and report when and if the end is successful and hopefully with a picture!

Thank you again for your help Anil.

During research, trying to infuse new life to this watch, I came up with an interesting proposition: check out the picture below, it is almost the same dial design (no numbers, and more appealing) and same size watch. The movement is the Miyota/Citizen 2305, ligne 11 1/2 (but is doesn't look the stated size). The dial in the pictured watch (newer model) is bigger and won't fit the old one, and the hands are different (the original had the "sad duck" or Mercedes style). The new movement as opposed to the Casio original has a different symmetry therefore the holder ring will be different and there exist the possibility of different hand hole diameters (pending measurement). Also notice the crown position is @3 vs. 4 in the older model. The Alarm feature and the digital feature of the original are not present with this movement. (There is a dial version with numbers but in military style). More to come.

post-253-0-25124200-1407675081.jpg

post-253-0-62438200-1407675280.jpg

post-253-0-23758400-1407675281.jpg

Edited by bobm12

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I lost one of the screws/ribbets that hold the bezel spring. I made a separate thread about it. I need help finding them or at least information that leads to the same goal (I have no service data or part numbers). I appreciate anything you guys can tell me. I've been searching the net for a while without success.

Thank you in advance

Robert