Mark Lovick - You NEED this

Very interesting. I would be very worried if my work was scrutinised under this device!

Seriously, I wonder how the really high end watches would look under this mic. I remember a post a while back which had some photos of a new Rolex movement which had metal shavings still visible through a loupe!

Anilv

15 hours ago, Mark said:

Ok. Any millionaire members here care to sponsor this??

emoji3.png

@JDM and I'm not talking about Lira!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really "quite affordable", between 20 and 75 K in US dollars.

Just a small mortgage or line of credit and sign away your soul plus the first born and were good.:huh::wacko:

You do have the latest PC and Windows 7, right ???

Recommended PC Specification

CPU 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processor or Higher
RAM 8GB Memory or Higher
HDD 500 GB or Higher
Monitor Must be 1920 x 1080 Resolution or Higher (8:5 Ratio)
OS Windows 7 - 64 bit or Higher

Hirox.thumb.jpg.325310e5e0bf3fadfe13635537bbee90.jpg

Edited by MilTimeCan

It does some really neat stuff like the stacking of images into 3D depth of field images, (or whatever the correct term is), storing, measuring etc, but I push back on the 10,000 claim....its optics and still subject to Rayleigh criterion.  The wavelength of light and refraction through the optics makes it impossible to optically resolve much beyond 1500x.  Still, when you look at stuff at 1500, its hard to imagine how you'd need more (1500 is usually way too much unless you are looking for bacterial on that pinion).

For those of us with more normal budgets, I bet for a few hundred you could set up a USB mic and screen.....it wasn't too long ago that that would have been an $9,000 bit of kit.

The thing I find frustrating with microscopy and mechanics is the limited depth of field.  Somehow that rig seems be a big improvement in that regard

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I agree Mark, the guy doing the spiel mentioned wanting to find one of t he Lica binos under his Christmas tree. He must have a very affluent partner. These are well out of my range. Surely these are more for a professional repair / service laboratory.

I can't see Santa having enough room in his sleigh for us all to get one, but if he drops one off for me , I'll share it, honest, and I've been a good boy all year... OK maybe that last lie blew my chances. I think I'm probably stuck with the 10x loupe and the cheap Chinese screwdrivers for another year.

BTW, and slightly off topic, if you want to produce some focus stacked images (with a microscope, or without), and you have an old Canon point and shoot camera lying about, unloved in a drawer, you might take a look at CHDK. I admit it isn't going to give you real time results, but if you simply want some pin sharp images of your favorite time piece, it will do the trick. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.