Trouble with bracelet watch

Wes

Hi,

New to the forum and new watch  repair hobbyist. I have been replacing batteries in my wife's multitude of watches. Mostly inexpensive ones that if I mess up won't be devastating.

I've been mostly successful but I ran across a watch with plastic bracelets, one on each side. There is one pin attaching the bracelet to the body of the watch and a coil spring that fits inside the housing where the bracelet is attached. It came off easy enough when I removed the pin, now I can't get it to go back together. 

Just wondered if there is a special tool or a trick that a beginner like me doesn't have (the tool and/or the knowledge) can use to put this thing together properly.

It's a matter of pride now, I don't want this problem to defeat me. Although it is definitely winning. Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

As long as the holes in the bracelet and the watch is okay. A watchmaker could put a new springbar on. maybe he can use the old one. 

It could be a little tricky on thus as it's not a normal case or bracelet. And there are some spring to hold the bracelet down. Put a leather strap on it instead :)

You can buy a spring bar tool on eBay for a quid or so. It's like a screwdriver with a notch in it.

You need to engage one end of the spring bar in the hole in the case and use the tool to compress the hidden spring inside the spring bar and wiggle the bar end into the other hole. You'll also have to fight the spring in the bracelet.
Three hands will help.
Eventually you'll get the idea.
Having the spring bar ping across the room is part of the fun!
Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply. I realized that I didn't state the actual problem in my OP. If you look closely at the spring there is a raised area that fits inside the housing to produce tension. I can put it together but only when the raised part of the spring is outside of the housing, when I put the raised part of the coil inside where it is supposed to be, I then can't line up the band to properly seat the pin in both holes. I can get one side in but not the other.

• Like 1

Thanks Neil, I do have a spring bar tool, the real issue is with the coiled spring fitting inside the case and then lining up both holes to get the pin in.

i actually can compress both sides of the pin so it is inside the case but it won't line up when the coil spring is inside where it belongs. It will line up if the coil is outside the case but then the bracelet is wide open and won't tension to the wrist as it should. It tensions outward instead. 

My fault for not explaining properly. I do appreciate the help though.