Sessions wall clock barely runs

pjstock

Got this nifty mid century wall clock at an antique store as a gift for my partner (who had been admiring it).

The dealers told us it didn't run, but we liked the look.

A clock repair place told us they could!d not repair it.

But tonight we looked at the electrical leads and noticed they are cut short. I don't know if anyone even tested this.

When. I hook up a test pigtail power power cord, the silver disk on the back of the mechanism moves, but just barely, as if it were seized somewhat. (I expect it is supposed to really spin fast)

So the second hand moves but glacially. It  advances 1 sec position every minute or so.

Any first diagnostic or maintenance steps anyone can suggest?

Many thanks

Peter

IMG_20170810_230211.jpg

IMG_20170810_230239_1.jpg

Could you tell me are they screws that hold the movement together or to me it looks like some sort of factory closed rivets, the picture is too far away for my eyesight. This type of movement runs best on grease on the worm wheel. If you could remove the motor and post a close up photo, it would help me so I can see the movement better.

Thanks. (and first, I should apologize for wasting this forum's time with a question about what I am sure was a cheap Dime Store electric wall clock. But my wife is obsessed about getting it running....)

I was able to get the mechanism removed. Here are some closer, better photos.

20170811_085643-614x819.jpg

20170811_085707-614x819.jpg

20170811_095541-614x819.jpg

20170811_095556-614x819.jpg

20170811_095613-614x819.jpg

20170811_095631-614x819.jpg

The first thing you need to find out, is the motor working, can you feel the current in it when you turn it on. If so then it should be repairable, it won't hurt to try and start it by pushing it with your finger. Is there any way the motor can be detached from the rest of the movement, as I cannot see any, if so do so. You need to clean the old grease and muck from here, which I have ringed in red, also the next wheel that it engages,

check here and the other side ringed in green for wear. The rest of the movement does not look to bad. There is no harm in greasing the pivots or any place that metal touches metal.  You can clean the dirt out with ronsonol lighter fluid.

If the moter is dead then I'm sorry there is nothing you can do apart from obtain another motor which I think will be very unlikely.

movement A.jpg

Edited by oldhippy

The motor does seem to want to run. With power applied, it lurches a little bit. But very slowly and unsteadily.

So, to cleaning and regressing. What are the best commonly available products for the job? (I am bike guy and so am.used to cleaning old bike parts with auto brake cleaner).

Most important i guess,  What grease or lubricant? (And ideally I don't have to buy a gallon jug, as I don't expect to have other clock projects)

35 minutes ago, pjstock said:

and I was able to separate the movement from the motor (a twist and the three hold points move to where it releases.)

anything different to try with the sections separated?

That's good news. It will make it better for you to get to the other parts to grease and oil. If you feel able you could take the plates apart and clean, it will be easer and that way you will be able to do a proper job. The main thing is to get that motor to move, you should be able to get hold of the worm wheel and turn it with the power on.

when I give the motor a good spin (when plugged in) I can actually get it to just keep going.

but it bogs down and slows to a halt at the slightest impediment or touch.

the motor seems to be a mostly sealed unit. I don't see an obvious way to take it apart.

would lubing that worm screw shaft help? or what else might keep that motor spinning freely.?

1 hour ago, pjstock said:

when I give the motor a good spin (when plugged in) I can actually get it to just keep going.

but it bogs down and slows to a halt at the slightest impediment or touch.

the motor seems to be a mostly sealed unit. I don't see an obvious way to take it apart.

would lubing that worm screw shaft help? or what else might keep that motor spinning freely.?

I would grease the worm wheel. If it still doesn't work, I would say its all down to the motor. Try a drop of oil here see the red arrow.

movement b.jpg

Edited by oldhippy