MarkG

Rolex 16610 gasket removal

Question

I'm replacing the crystal on a Rolex Submariner 16610.  When I removed the crystal, part of the gasket remained in the groove in the case.  I'm at a loss as to how to remove the remaining gasket.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

13 answers to this question

I'm an amateur that had taken online classes from Otto Frei several years back and recently (last year) have been enjoying Mr. Lovick's videos.   I've cleaned and lubricated several 28XX movements as well as a couple 7750's.  I only work on my own watches and have had pretty good success so far.   I have changed crystals on several watches before but never on a Rolex (personal watch).  The inset gasket through me off.

Welcome to the forum. My opinion on your problem and similar ones is that if something is stuck by mechanical force, by the same shall be removed, but if it's hold in place by glue or cement, use a solvent before forcing.

There are plenty of tutorials on the web on how to change a rolex crystal. 

As Narcissius say there is a retaining ring that needs to be taken of first. Did you remove that. Otherwise you can't remove the gasket. 

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. There is indeed a groove as I have stripped down the case.  The gasket on the new crystal also has a part of it below the crystal proper.  The picture shows it face down.  I've looked at the case under 10X and cannot see anything but solid case... unless of course I'm missing something obvious. 

rolex gasket.jpg

49 minutes ago, jdm said:

So, how come the crystal came out with the retainer still in place? Brute force broke something?

There is pieces of the crystal gasket still inside the case. So probably yes? 

I would dare to do something like that before have investigated how to do it the proper way. 

Edited : had a better look at the picture, you haven't taken the retaining ring off, this will require something that looks like a vice, but has blades to avoid distortion of the retaining ring, however be careful not to press too far, as you can also damage the lip of the case that the crystal gasket seats against...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By east3rn
      Hello! 
      I am working on a vintage watch and the crown of the watch is fitted with a hidden type gasket which is 
      in terrible condition and needs to be replaced.
      However, I found it difficult to pull the gasket out with my tweezers or tooth pick. 
      Could anyone recommend an easier way to remove this kind of gasket from the crown??
      I forgot to take a photo of the crown so I attached a similar example I found on the web.

• By east3rn
      Hello. Dear watchmakers.
      I have a very old timepiece from Rolex that I am about to work on..
      From googling, I found out that this is called "trench watch" that might had been used during WWI or any other war in that era ( 1910~1920)
      However, I could not figure out the reference no. of the movement. All I know about the movement is that it is 29mm in diameter and has 15 jewels.
      I am actually looking for a replacement movement for this watch since the mainspring must be replaced due to damage.
      Plus, I am also looking for the rachet wheel with "Rolex" engraved to replace the existing one.
      I have found similar movements on the web(the third photo added)  but click part was not the same.
      I wonder if the one with different type of click would have parts that are replaceable.
      To sum up, my questions are
      1) the reference of the movement.
      2) how I can get parts or the whole movement for replacement
      3) does a movement with different click type would be suitable for replacement.
      Thanks and  I wish you a great day.

• By Calvin
      Hello guys
      Why my rolex precision 6466 stops when crown screw down..
      But it runs again when crown not screw down or in manual wind position?
      It stops when the crown enter too deep inside the movement..
      Thankyou
    • By Calvin
      Hello guys..
      My Rolex precision oysterdate date won,t change
      It stuck on 30 and won,t change even i try to set time to the next day.. and the next..
      What happen to this watch?
      Thankyou
    • By Calatrava
      Hi everyone,
      Quite some time ago (a good few years) I was wearing my Rolex datejust 1601 in London in heavy rain and high humidity (obviously a British summer). Anyway I noticed that quite a lot of condensation appeared in my watch. I know I know I should have taken it to an horologist straight away but alas. Anyway I pulled out the crown hoping it would allow the moisture to escape. This seems to have worked however the dial is now covered in watermarks which I can only assume are calcium deposits. 
      I have seen a thread on the forums where someone removed a small watermark gently using purified distilled water. As you can see in the photo these marks cover the whole of the sunburst dial. Do you think this might be the best way? Or perhaps an incredibly gentle solvent? Naturally I want to be incredibly gentle, especially as I would have to go over the printed text and around the tritium.
      I have opened the watch up and taken a very tiny look at the movement and all seems fine - runs accurate and no sign of rust or displaced oils however do you think it's best just to send it in for a service and hope the watchmaker can fix the dial? 
      Hold me and tell me everything will be okay.