Mainspring replacement

I recently tried to put a mainspring in my Waltham with rather disastrous results. I broke it by putting it the wrong way - my bad entirely...

It has a hole end spring and I found it difficult getting the hole over the cleat/pin on the barrel.

Any suggestions, tricks or incantations would be appreciated.

Dave

Are you using a mainspring winder? If not I think, it depends on the best way for you. I have in the past hooked the spring on before winding it in. Fit the spring in about half an inch before the hook so when you go to wind it up the spring slips on the hook, in order to do this you do not need to fit the barrel into the movement, just hold it and wind it with pin tongs. In some cases, the hook part is too close to the barrel so it needs to be bent a little, but not to much as it will rub on the spring and wear through. I am sure with practise you will find your best way.

• Like 2

Thank you for the advice.

Excuse my ignorance but what are pin tongs? Could I use small needle-nose pliers to wind the spring? I'm thinking even a large pair of tweezers would work.

I'm sure that after breaking a couple more springs I'll be pretty good at it.

41 minutes ago, Folkvisor said:

Thank you for the advice.

Excuse my ignorance but what are pin tongs? Could I use small needle-nose pliers to wind the spring? I'm thinking even a large pair of tweezers would work.

I'm sure that after breaking a couple more springs I'll be pretty good at it.

Pin tongs or pin vices see here.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/pin-vices-chucks-tongs