How to remove stuck Cannon Pinion

Tmuir

On 05/08/2017 at 2:21 PM, Tmuir said:

Failed, I must not of had even pressure  when levering and broke the centre wheel shaft.

I managed to remove the broken shaft from the cannon pinion on my staking set, lesson learnt I will use my staking set rather than leavers next time I can remove the cannon pinion via regular means.

Sorry to hear the results of attempting to lift the pinion with levers. Did the shaft separate from the wheel, or did it actually break into two pieces?

Using the staking set to remove the pinion can be problematic. Unless the wheel is recessed, you have to allow clearance for it to move. Bench blocks of the same height can be used to raise the movement and allow for clearance. However, positioning all that on the staking anvil can be difficult. Additionally, you run the risk of warping the plate if you use too much pressure with the center unsupported.

Good luck with the new wheel and the rest of the repair.

Since you are out in the boonies, so to speak, you might also check with Tom Mister in the USA. He has literally thousands of parts, used movements, etc. at very good prices. You can reach him at ***

• Like 1

The shaft actually snapped. I'm sure a master watchmaker could fix it, but it beyond my skills at this point in time.

I'm aware of who you are talking about, I've not bought from him yet, but have spent some time in the past looking at his website.

I'll first try the NOS from my supplier as I need to buy a number of other items and adding a centre wheel to the order will add nothing to the postage. Recently postage from the USA has got expensive for small items. Compact but heavy items are quiet reasonably price to post from the USA to Australia, but small light things seem overpriced.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my order of parts on Friday and was very pleased the the centre wheel was correct.

On going to fit the cannon pinion to the new centre wheel i discovered why I had so much problems getting it off the old wheel.

It looks like the cannon pinion was loose and someone crimped it with side cutters after it was fitted to the shaft, I had to ream it out before I could fit it to the centre wheel, but after much fiddling it fitted perfectly and thew watch is now ticking again.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I had this exact problem yesterday. I was pretty sure, given the rust over the movement, that the problem was either some rusting or old gummed up oil and muck. As Mark said above, it had to be removed. 

My solution:

1. overnight soak in 5-/50 acetone & ATF 
2. ultrasonic bath (10 mins) to try and loosen and to remove any flammable volatility before heating)
3. heat applied from cigarette lighter then place immediately onto
4. staking tool and lightly strike the staff from cannon pinion side while still hot
5. finally freed and removed

best for the new year all
John 

On 8/28/2017 at 8:06 PM, Tmuir said:

I received my order of parts on Friday and was very pleased the the centre wheel was correct.

On going to fit the cannon pinion to the new centre wheel i discovered why I had so much problems getting it off the old wheel.

It looks like the cannon pinion was loose and someone crimped it with side cutters after it was fitted to the shaft, I had to ream it out before I could fit it to the centre wheel, but after much fiddling it fitted perfectly and thew watch is now ticking again.

This what I was worried about, someone crimping the pinion. I was lucky. 

Yes you got lucky, it didn't help that my reamers were probably around 50 years old and not the sharpest.

I've since bought myself a new set of Bergeon reamers should I get caught out again.

• Like 1