Breitling Wakmann Aircraft Clock

I've recently taken on this clock for a friend. I only normally do watches !!

It's been serviced and is now running well. The chronograph system is quite simple. The Maltese cross wheel was lubricated with a very thick green grease (as per the picture). Does anyone have any idea of what grease to use as I haven't anything like it?

Thanks

0d26d79627a36b64264cf74441b9dc8b.jpge9985c3958890852f5b5fa1b4690de19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a hell of a lot of grease using that amount would cause more problems than it solves as it ages and hardens over time its anyone's guess what the original spec of the grease would  been unless you have original technical specs.

I would use a small amount of Molykote DX for this part it looks like the components have quite a bit a pressure on the surfaces from the size of the springs used

This is a extract from Marvin E. Whitneys Military Timepieces book on lubricating a similar Elgin clock

"Specific instructions regarding lubrication of all important points will be noted during the reassembly instructions. Any good watch oil may be used to lubricate the elapsed time clock, however, a suitable light grease can be used on high pressure bearing such as the stem works and the column wheel, but should be applied sparingly"

• Like 1

Excellent advice thanks. It really was coated heavily in that green grease. Maybe being an Aircraft Clock and needing to work at high cabin pressures may be the reason for the heavy use of grease. If an aircraft depressurises at 35,000 ft then instruments still have to work !! (Or maybe it was sloppy previous workmanship...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk