How long is edit window open?

It seems briefly after posting there is the opportunity to edit posts, but the window quickly closes.  Anyone know what the setting is?  Personally, as someone quite prone to typos, I'd like it left open, but if its to close I'm curious how long one has.

thanks

• Like 1

Being a Mod, there's no time limit for me on editing any posts on the Forum, but - as I recall - it's only about 2-3 minutes before the edit facility closes.

There's a reason for the time limit on this sort of forum software - which is to prevent statements being altered. On other, more argumentative forums, this can be crucial. Luckily, we're not that kind of forum and, if we were, I and the other Mods would be wielding big sticks. This is a friendly and supportive site, for which I'm sure we're all grateful! However, the principle of letting original posts stand is a good one.

If there's something which you obviously need to amend with hindsight, contact one of the Mods and we'll check and change it for you - at no extra cost! :thumbsu:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017 at 3:26 AM, WillFly said:

Being a Mod, there's no time limit for me on editing any posts on the Forum, but - as I recall - it's only about 2-3 minutes before the edit facility closes.

Thanks for the explanation.  I'm on one forum that never closes and really like it.  Its maybe 5/10 on the augment scale (good guys but its technical so some really dig in on the need to be right).  No one changes posts, it's just the cultural norm, peer pressure I guess makes it unacceptable to do so.  Me, I make a lot of typos and skipped words., mild dyslexia?  hands can't keep up with brain?  whatever, but I hate just leaving them there forever yet its to frequent to bug someone about.   I really prefer the open ended thing, but I'm the new guy, so when in Rome.....:)

On 8/4/2017 at 3:26 PM, WillFly said:

There's a reason for the time limit on this sort of forum software - which is to prevent statements being altered. On other, more argumentative forums, this can be crucial. Luckily, we're not that kind of forum and, if we were, I and the other Mods would be wielding big sticks. This is a friendly and supportive site, for which I'm sure we're all grateful! However, the principle of letting original posts stand is a good one.

Even on friendly forums only allowing editting for a set period is needed.

I help manage a forum about toy steam engines and we had 2 incidents that made us change  from allowing editting for ever to about 15 minutes.

The first one was a refernce thread on screw sizes used on brands of steam engines. We had a regular forum member that managed that thread. People PMed him the screw sizes and he then editted his post and and added the information.

One time when editing his PC crashed and somehow it deleted everything from his post, about 2 years of work lost.

The other time we had a reasonably active member for what ever reason got upset and decided to leave, but must of spent a good hour or two editing every post he did and replaced his posts with either emojis or swear words, an extreme case of pettiness especially as we never even found out what upset him.

Either way only allowing editing for short periods stops this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

the  destruction of the  library at Alexandria  is very interesting HISTORY,  but nothing to do with watches.  the  author should have an opportunity to remove  it.  at  any time.     off color or argumentative  post should be  elimitated by a administrater.