Crystal Lift on eBay?

I am in need of a crystal lift. A quick search on Amazon or eBay shows many in the $10 to $15 range. These are probably not made in Germany, Switzerland or the U.S.

Does anyone have experience with these "less expensive" crystal lifts? Do they work as intended or are they so poorly made that their operation is questionable?

Thanks,

Would stay away. I got a cheaper one like those. Didn't feel right so I took it to my watchmaker friend who had no trouble at all lifting the crystal. The differences is the quality of the tips of the clamps, the angulation and sharpness. The Chinese one I have is pretty blunt and thick. I bought a better quality used lift and it's a world of difference.

Like for any other tool, invest in quality tools as you will end up spending the same or even more when using cheap ones that either won't work or, even worse, damage your watch which may be irreplaceable!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A used Swiss one should be preferred.

Most cheap ones come from India. There are many makers, making good, usable tools but also scrap. Anchor brand sells acceptable quality (referring to crystal-lift only!)

Frank

• Like 1

I have an anchor brand staking tool.

I purchased it second hand and and it is of acceptable quality as my first staking tool.

I will replace it probably in a year or so with something better, but it has served me well whilst I learnt.

As with all tools the Swiss ones seem expensive the Chinese and Indian made ones are a mixed bag I have both a Bergeon one and a Anchor brand bought through Redrooster on ebay, both are good the most notable difference is that the Bergeon jaws will take a maximum of 45mm the Anchor brand will open out to 48 mm I have on occasion found this the more useful tool for pocket watches.

The Bergeon can be had for around £20-£40 pounds used on ebay you will only have to spend the money once it should last a lifetime.

Worth noting is that there are two types of Bergeon a 4266 which is suitable for round crystals and a 6400 suitable for both round and shaped crystals

As the Swiss versions seemed so expensive, I thought I could get away with a cheap version. The tips were too blunt to grasp the crystal. I tried to sharpen them but the metal was too soft to get a good tip. I ended up binning it and buying a second hand Bergeon.

But as noted, other people have found the cheap ones OK. 

I would recommend a second hand Bergeon - the quality is so good, and it will last a lifetime.

I don't know if there's a proper procedure for this but I've had some success sharpening the (brass?) claws of these tools before. My method was to get a disc shaped object, in my case a scratched and discarded thick mineral glass and set it somewhere inside, behind the claws and tighten the crystal lift claws around it (tricky to keep the disc level, but it can be done) then placed it down on an abrasive stone and gently rubbed the crystal lift over the stone on the bench. I don't know if this would help with cheaply made ones, but it helped with my worn out burgeon crystal lift.