What would you Do?

Just a recap of the story : 

Swiss Army Watch
Hi I got a Swiss army watch repaired From a  (Very Reputable Dealer)   it need a battery and Spindle for turning watch cost me 85 Euros...

I left it in to a reptuable jewellers but when I got it back it was going forward by 3 hours So I went back with watch and they took it back in again two months later I have to ring them he eventually gets back to me and says its a problem with the mechanism now but would fix it for 200 and guarantee it for a year 

What I want to ask is should they not have noticed this the first time ,

Well the Short answer is they should have after a legal email i sent them they have since come back to me with the following  answer 

Thank you for your email of  I am sorry to hear of the trouble that you’re having with your watch.

Your watch was sent out directly to a certain  service centre in the UK. They replaced the battery and crown as deemed necessary. The fee of €85.00 was for this alone and did not assume any further warrantees on the movement other than for the work that was carried out.

Subsequently, as you discovered, your watch did not work correctly upon return to you and we apologise for that disappointment. Watch making is not an exact science and at times can be frustrating, however, this company acted in good faith by performing the most obvious, and least expensive option by replacing the battery.

They have now estimated for a replacement movement at €285.00 and have deducted the €85.00 battery fitting cost leaving a nett estimate to you of €200.00.

We note that you have declined this and that the watch has been returned to you undone.

On receipt of your email,  we have  reviewed the history of your watch and has concluded that at the outset, the repair company  could have declined to carry out a battery change and simply estimated for a movement at €285.00.

You would then have had the option to decline this and would not have been out of pocket. For this reason, and notwithstanding we will return undone fee of offering you a refund of the unsuccessful €85.00 battery charge. This is offered without prejudice and the alternative offer of the replacement movement at €200.00 remains open to you, as recommended by this company.  

What would you do after all this trouble i had thanks for any advice ?

I would not let them have it back. I know I retired a long time ago, £85 for a button and a battery to me that seems like day light robbery and they had to send it away. I would never have let them have it in the first place. Find a watchmaker that carries out the repairs on the premises. The shop you took the watch too is responsible for the repair, they should take it up with the ones that so called repaired your watch. Part repairs is risky, I soon stopped this practice.  

• Like 1

Their excuse is rubbish in my opinion: a "watch maker" person who replaces a battery and a stem and does not notice that the watch doesn't work right should not be in business, especially for 85 Euro (the cost of a new  battery is probably 1 or 2 euros)!!! that's just robbery for a simple watch, again, just my opinion. They are avoiding any responsibility for the work they did.

Leave an honest review online that people can see. Never go there again.

Take the money, your watch, a go somewhere else where they do their own work (oldhippy has excellent advice).

• Like 1