Stay safe people !!

That is scary. Not long ago we had a man and his family being threatened in his on home by a robber with gun. The thief/robber  or what you should call him had found out and read that this man have show lots of nice watches that he has posted on different social communities.and forums.

The thief has found out this guys address and threaten to kill him and his family if he didn't get the watches. Fortunately he didn't have them all at home. Just the watch he had on his wrist . 

Only his AP and a Rolex that his wife had on her wrist  was the only thing  the thief took. And some money and jewels. But a really scary story. 

What is really scary is the this robber has read on social forums and documented and finding out that this person own some nice watches. So take care what you post on socials forums. There is people out there searching and looking and finding out if there is someone they could rob. 

Edited by rogart63

Hardly any Police in this country, thanks to the present government. Criminals are having the time of their lives. Crime has risen to a new high. More criminals released from prison before their time, due to mistakes. This country has gone to the dogs.  

If I were 40years younger, I would leave this country like a shot.

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Hardly any Police in this country, thanks to the present government. Criminals are having the time of their lives. Crime has risen to a new high. More criminals released from prison before their time, due to mistakes. This country has gone to the dogs.  

It's the same in Sweden. Not sure it's the government or if it's not cool to be a Police. The few that are left have to work there **BLEEP** of . Something the young people doesn't want? So moving here is not better :) . 

I do the same. I never wear my Rolex when on holiday. I have a nice Seiko diver that I re-furbished which I call my holiday watch. My wife to removes her Rolex and wears a nice Swiss Army Quartz watch. The Rolexes are also hidden at home.

Sometimes, an "impoverished country" is safer than a Western one.

Unfortunately in the West, primarily in Europe criminals have a very easy life, indeed, and the governments and current trends of laws and rules make it so that the honest man gets stiffed while criminals are let go with little or no prison time.

Back in the days, if you stole something, you went to jail, period.

• Like 1

On 28/7/2017 at 12:05 AM, MilTimeCan said:
Not surprised. The world has changed.
Getting mugged wearing a fake Rolex is also possible, thieves often don't know the difference.
Never travel internationally with an expensive watch, especially in an impoverished country. 

I've been to many "impoverished countries", was robbed it was not for a watch or how I looked like. Same in my Western country, nothing to do with watches. But in Naples and Mars eilles they will literally take a Rolex or Patek off your wrist in seconds.

I also don't have expensive watches and then limit myself to not wear them, at the same time I don't show off anything of what I have. It's not about fear, it's because I think both habits are stupid.

• 6 months later...

It is prudent to be discreet about posting valuables and/or vacation schedules, etc., on public websites. I'm guessing if I did a web search under my username, I'd be able to find my real name pretty quickly, especially if I had $2 to pay for "additional information", etc.

I know a guy whose wife posted their vacation dates on Facebook. It wasn't long before he came back, walking in on a group of thugs who were making themselves at home in his living room, after removing a fair amount of valuables.

My neighborhood has had a rash of burglaries, where the thieves break the back slider windows and clean out what they can. They knock on the door, and if nobody answers, around the back they go. It is sad. I was telling my girlfriend the other day that the common refrain of "You just can't have nice things." is very true today. If you do, don't broadcast it. That is for sure.

3 hours ago, Del said:

I continually find it odd that people complain about the robbers who take our watches or televisions but never a word is mentioned about bankers and corporate execs who steal far far more from every one of us.

Why is that do you reckon?

Not odd at all. Perhaps it's because this is a message board that is dedicated to watches. If you go to a website that concentrates on the Consumer Protection Bureau (or other such thing), you'd hear plenty about white-collar crime. I, for one, certainly don't condone it, nor ignore it. I just don't tend to mention it here on watchrepairtalk.com.

Edited by MrRoundel
  • Like 2

Clearly you live in the uk. If not, uk has exactly the same problem as you describe, sadly. Things will hopefully improve one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/15/2018 at 9:51 PM, MrRoundel said:

Not odd at all. Perhaps it's because this is a message board that is dedicated to watches. If you go to a website that concentrates on the Consumer Protection Bureau (or other such thing), you'd hear plenty about white-collar crime. I, for one, certainly don't condone it, nor ignore it. I just don't tend to mention it here on watchrepairtalk.com.

So if I'm correct the liberality that the ruling orders take in violating laws  which they themselves often make don't influence what the general society sees as permissible.  Things like cheating on their taxes or showing no concern for others or even something as personal as stealing our watches?

I ask because it does seem to me that our society is heavily influenced in it's perception of what is right and wrong by what we see those in socially privileged positions take. 

12 hours ago, Del said:

So if I'm correct the liberality that the ruling orders take in violating laws  which they themselves often make don't influence what the general society sees as permissible.  Things like cheating on their taxes or showing no concern for others or even something as personal as stealing our watches?

I ask because it does seem to me that our society is heavily influenced in it's perception of what is right and wrong by what we see those in socially privileged positions take. 

Interesting view but please remember this is a forum for those interested in horology not Sociology.