Removing Hands from a Stopwatch/Timer

Does anyone have experience removing the hands from a mechanical stopwatch?  I read somewhere (I think it might have been DeCarle's book) that it wouldn't be easy and it sure isn't.  The hands are fitted tighter than any chronograph I've worked on.

The piece in question is a Horseman's stopwatch with an Excelsior Park 3-68 movement.  The amount of force required with standard hand levers is great enough to concern me about braking the dial.  The watch isn't mine and since it runs fine I'm actually leaning towards leaving well enough alone unless someone out there has previous experience and can advise how to gently overcome this hurdle.

IMG_3404.thumb.JPG.1d2244920a303d3ac2eed8ecc94cabca.JPG

IMG_3403.thumb.JPG.511f7af8e22d36616bf59a497b87f084.JPG

Stopwatches are different then regular watches for hand removal. Usually with stopwatches the hands are not removed but the dial is removed with the hands. The hands are friction on with extreme force to a tube that on the backside has a heart shaped cam. So basically the hands go on spring-loaded cannon pinions with a heart-shaped cam used for resetting.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Stopwatches are different then regular watches for hand removal. Usually with stopwatches the hands are not removed but the dial is removed with the hands. The hands are friction on with extreme force to a tube that on the backside has a heart shaped cam. So basically the hands go on spring-loaded cannon pinions with a heart-shaped cam used for resetting.

Thanks for that John.  This does seem to ring a bell.  I'm glad I stopped when I did and asked the question!

• 3 years later...