Quartz watch been in the washing machine!

My sister discovered that she had left her watch in a pocket or something and it went into the washing machine. Needless to say it doesn't work now. I have got it stripped and am cleaning it etc. The circuit board looks ok but, I am wondering about the other sensitive electrical parts  and whether they will have survived. Before I stripped it I tried it on my quartz tester with a fresh battery and there was no pulse. What are its chances? It's a Seiko 2320, she is very fond of it. I do have another but it's a none runner and I am not sure what the problem with that one might be. Just going to keep an eye out on the bay and see if a donor watch might turn up.

Thanks,

Yes it's a very small ladies watch 2320-5640. 

I'll  clean up the mechanical parts and maybe try some parts from the other watch. It's worth a try. If it doesn't work out she will just have to be patient and hope one turns up.

Cheers fellas

1 minute ago, Davey57 said:

Thanks,

Yes it's a very small ladies watch 2320-5640. 

I'll  clean up the mechanical parts and maybe try some parts from the other watch. It's worth a try. If it doesn't work out she will just have to be patient and hope one turns up.

Cheers fellas

Best of luck, and I am sure one will turn up.

J

There is a repair manual here if that helps http://www.thewatchsite.com/files/Seiko Technical Manuals/2320A-1.pdf ... and some parts are available but sp**BLEEP**.

You may find it easier just to fit a new replacement movement like a Hattori VC10 if the hands and dial will fit that... https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=Z2xlYXZlYW5kY28uY29tfHRlY2huaWNhbHxneDo1M2ZjNDUwNTdlZDA4NDAz

I'm not familiar with this movement but it must be pretty old to have a trimmer.
I agree that a modern replacement is likely to be the most viable. I'd try a PC10 to keep it in the family . Just watch the pinion height.

Good luck
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my limited experience, I'd say the coil or some other electrical part shorted out when the watch got immersed. I would also suggest replacing the movement. A different type movement can be made to fit by using double sided movement holding discs or even if you're careful, some epoxy. The biggest problem might be in getting a plastic movement holder that will fit the movement and also fit in the case.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ro63rto said:

eBay 253055546389

Sent from my Honor 5c

Thanks. 

Yes I did notice that one. But to be honest the original watch was just a cheapie I picked up on eBay for very little money, there is no sentimental attachment to it really, she just like the size and style very much. The cost of buying that one and shipping across the pond, I am in the U.K, would be more than the watch is worth. I'll keep my eyes open for another to crop up. Something is bound to turn up sooner or later.

I haven't had the time to investigate the spare one I do have. Maybe I will get lucky.

• Like 1