How to differentiate whether a brushed surface is coa_r_s_e, medium or fine brushing?

Hi All,

I was wondering how do you guys differentiate the brushed surface of a watch is coa_r_s_e (sorry I had to use underline as the word is censored!), medium or fine? Because I have a couple of watches that I'd like to polish and they all have brushed finishing on their cases so I would like to know is there anyway to differentiate which is which so that I can buy a correct abrasive block. I heard something along the lines like if the surface reflects light, ...... I forgot the rest of the sentence. Thanks!

Regards,

Number

Edited by number98

I don't think you can do good brushing with an abrasive block. A cleaning pad works better, just keep the strokes straight and uni-directional. Alternatively, try a proper wheel on a rotary tool.

If you look in the cosmetics isle in your favourite supermarket you should find a foam block with four different abrasives. Ladies use these to polish and shape their fingernails but they work pretty well to restore stainless steel finishes. Test these out on a piece of scrap and compare these with the required effect.

Long parallel strokes are the key.

Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk